Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 09-14-2007, 01:50 AM

Default Job help thing

So yeah, first time poster, long time lurker, etc etc.

Anyway, for a lot of reasons I'm not gonna go into as they are very tl;dr I'm gonna be getting married in jan. This was a pretty recent idea as we had planned on getting married sometime late in the summer but again, lots of tl;dr stuff has made the change necessary.

Basically I don't make enough money. I'm getting like 13ish an hour but it's very part time, which was fine with me until now. The future missus is making about 1k a month working with special needs kids like 25 hours a week, but I imagine she'll move that up to full-time...

Anyway, I need a better job and soon. We can deff survive on what we're making + what my parents are giving us for our wedding present. (They're paying half my rent and my car + insurance for the next year and a half or so after we get married, so obv 2k or so is sufficient for where we live).

I need to find a job that fits the following criteria but also isn't ridiculously difficult to get into.

1) 40 hours a week at $9+ an hour.

2) Some benefits. We need health insurance and such unless I'm making a really nice wage. Paid time off is a bonus but not a necessity.

3) Either a possibility at real advancement or at least a good resume builder so that I can get a better job a few years down the road.

Basically I'm just looking to take us from "getting by decently" to "getting by decently + saving decently" and lowering stress with included health insurance and such. I'm not so naive about us that I think financial stress won't hurt our marriage, etc, and would like to take responsibility for that one myself and find a good job.

I'm really looking for some serious advice but feel free to poke as much fun at me as ya want :-)
Old 09-14-2007, 02:53 AM

Default Re: Job help thing

Hard to give good advice without knowing your education and employment background. Also, knowing what city you live in would help as well.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:41 AM

We don't know alot of things but....First I am suprised it is difficult to find a job paying less than 9 bucks an hour.
Move to the West Coast of Canada and you will find a job in a day paying 9 an hour. Maybe not realistic depending on where you are from but the point is you are young enough( I think) to move to places where you and your wife-to-be can find good employment.
Second if you want good benefits then you could consider a larger company. A couple that come to mind are Starbucks, Staples, Home Depot, Walmart....or why not start apprentcing for a trade. Retail is not for everyone but it sounds like it would be an improvement for you. Get a good resume and you will find something decent I would expect.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:42 AM

Like it was stated, knowing your level of education and field would be helpful. Regardless of whatever job you might be looking for, a resume is a good start to be able to organize your achievements and to have a professional touch as well.

I'm not sure if there's a listing, but there are frequent job fairs in major cities on a regular basis. Some are specialized, but a lot are looking for paid internships or some low-level entry positions.

Also, there are probably several online sites which let you upload your resume so that potential employers can find you or you can contact them as well.

Good luck with this OP.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:04 AM

Education is HS diploma with some college (could never really find out what I wanted to do). My job experience is pretty small. I worked as a private guitar teacher for myself for about 3 years, while finishing high school and in my first couple years of college. Now I'm working as a "sales-person" at a car-wash. Sadly it would never fly as sales experience for a real job.

And yeah, it's not extraordinarily difficult to find a job that starts out at around $9... but they usually don't come with any benefits, and health insurance at the minimum is quite important to me. (The starbucks, wal-mart, and grocery stores around here start at around 7-8, btw)

I've posted online and am looking, but it seems most of the jobs I could qualify are either sales or customer service. I'm looking pretty heavily into the customer service route, but what do you all think of sales? Specifically automotive or insurance.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what do you all think of sales? Specifically automotive or insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]
Automotive: I'm sure you'd have no problem getting this job, but very few are actually cut out for it. I imagine the turnover rate is staggering, as it is in most sales-based industries.

Insurance: same deal except you can mostly do it inside! Super high rate of failure from those I know who have tried. On the plus side I have a couple of friends who are ridiculously rich doing this. The problem is you bust your ass for years not making much in order to get to the big bucks. So is my understanding. At least with cars I don't think the curve is quite as steep.

A lot, maybe most, people aren't cut out for sales. You need to find out if that's your thing so you don't waste your time and fail at it.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:40 PM

Well. It sounds like you are in a decent area for making money if StarBucks is paying 9 an hour.

So.... you started up as a private guitar teacher. Is there anything you could do within the music industry? I imagine some local bands are looking for a few roadies. I know that Guitar Center is a sales-based company. It sounds like you are young. It will take a long time to figure out your niche. I think that college accelerates this problem, but I don't know, since I never been.

Good luck.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:59 PM

Well I was a classical guitar major in college, but as soon as I started it just sucked my passion for the instrument right out.

Any other ideas?
Old 09-14-2007, 04:02 PM

With only a HS Diploma and not a heck of a lot of work experience you may want to look at something like a WalMart even if it starts out a little lower than your $9 target and then work your way up.

You do not say where you are located but another thing I can suggest is to think about locating in a place where the unemployment rate is very low and chances for a job with your level of work experience is better. An example is Billings Montana. 2% unemployment and businesses are doing almost whatever they can do to find workers. This is everything from construction to entry level work in Hospitals. The cost of living is a lot lower than most places in the country and if you at all like outdoor type things the mountains and all the camping, hiking and fishing oyu could stand are just an hour away. Northern Wyoming is in pretty much the same situation as well.

Anyway, good luck!
Old 09-14-2007, 04:13 PM

Yep. I know right where you are kid.

Anyways, I just wrote a very long, honest, and impassioned post, but I just deleted it.

Just know that you have a very tough road ahead of you, and I hope that your soon-to-be-wife understands this as well.