Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 12:30 AM

Default Re: What do you want/where do you want to live when you are retired?

I'm thinking I'd like to retire in France
Old 11-04-2007, 05:33 AM

On a wineyard in Italian villa, that's my dream. I love italy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I Want a big mansion on a hill and so on. Smoking big cigars there and drinking good whiskey, that'll be my ultimate goal.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:35 AM

In Italia they drink wine.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:27 PM

Move to Sartorini and open a hostel
Old 11-04-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I do want to own a skyrise 70-100+ storey building to live in with the top 2-3 floors as my penthouse home and 30-40 000 SQ FT of living space. It's the closest you are ever going to get to living in the clouds.

[/ QUOTE ]

i just edited my dream to that. i want mine 1 story higher than yours though if its in same city.

[/ QUOTE ]

My penthouse triplex condo will be built entirely with rare Italian marbles with high ceilings supported with same marble columns.

Will have gold mouldings and and frames glittering everywhere. The entrance will open into a beautiful marble fountain.

I'll also have a built in waterfall that cascades down the 3 stories and everyone on each mezzanine storey will be able to look down into it. And when you are going down from floor to floor you will not lose sight of that waterfall.

Now that's what I call a dream.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
humans, by nature, are dream chasers. once we achieve all of our dreams, all of our goals, there is only death. i dont ever want to be completely satisfied with my situation. i always want to be working towards something more. it makes me sick when ppl just sit around bashing ppl who are posting what their heart desires, who they want to be, where they want to live. whether or not its possible is irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you 100% except for the part about the relevance of the possibility of your dreams: dreams that are too far off end up being discouraging rather than motivating. My own view is that dreams should be somewhat more than you can actually achieve but not absurd. Me working and dreaming towards discovering a unified field theory is not motivating because I wouldn't know where to start and have zero probability of succeeding. Me working and dreaming towards owning a highrise exactly two feet taller than yours, on the other hand, is perfect.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:47 PM

Interesting input Howard.

In my own oppinion, I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with dreaming the impossible if you are actively going out there inching your way towards it step by step. In fact, I would argue they encourage you rather than discourage you.

Impossible dreams are discouraging when you sit around doing nothing about it.

Impossible dreams are encouraging when you inch towards them everyday.

Dreaming about that impossible dream allows me to keep aiming higher and higher everytime I reach a certain level of achievement in my own life. It keeps me on the edge and doesn't allow me to become comfortable with what I currently achieve short term.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:06 PM

The first thing I want to do when I retire is to go with my wife and do Peace Corps or some comparable volunteer opportunity. As soon as this over, after spending a few months at home, I'd like to travel the world for a few years, spending a few months in each locale.

Eventually, I'd like to have a 1br apartment in Boston just to use as a home base for further travel for the next 5-10 years. I'd like to see pretty much every country, culture, etc.

Then, I'd like to split my time between Boston, Paris, and the Caribbean, just spending my time reading and writing.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:13 PM

I'd like to live a minimalist lifestyle surrounded by family and dogs that doesn't waste money. Just learn as much as I can about the world through reading, watching tv/movies, and basically relaxing. I'm pretty close to that now, so life is great. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Reaching for the stars chasing materialistic things seems silly to me. I plan to use my money to buy myself free time and not have pressures of any job. I'd like to start a non-profit in some form that teaches people how to be truly happy.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to start a non-profit in some form that teaches people how to be truly happy.

[/ QUOTE ]
subsidized prostitution?