Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Best book for SSNL?

I searched for a thread or a discussion on this, but didn't find it. is there a book out there that discusses the best way to play uNL?
Old 10-07-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Best book for SSNL?

basically, no. While a lot of standard poker concepts like pot odds apply and are frequently covered in books, most books also cover a lot of tactics that only apply at tougher games, and ignore tactics that are very powerful at uNL.

You're much better off reading the uNL forum. A search for everything Pokey has written is a great 2nd step, once you already know which hands beat which, how to count outs and use that info, and what implied odds are.

It sure wouldn't hurt to read Harrington on Holdem vol 1, which covers early-stage tournament play, somewhat similar to cash game play. Also Getting Started in Holdem, which has a chapter on no-limit. Finally, Small-Stakes Holdem is just beautifully written, and covers those basics I mentioned above, in a limit-oriented context (where 2+2 still =4).
Old 10-07-2007, 04:22 PM

SSHE is an excellent text for LHE among other LHE books. for NL i picked up No Limit: Theory and Practice and the strategies are easily put into play - after playing the LHE games for ma anyway.

knowing how and what outs to discount, finding hidden outs and just basically being able to count outs including pot and implied odds are a basic thing you should know about and maybe better learned less expensively at micro LHE.

my next purchase will be Professional No Limit, but from the posts i've read it might be a bit too complex for me. i'm no mathematician and stack to pot ratios (SPR's) sound a bit above me for now.

right now, as in the past, solid play and little bluffing are keys to winning at the micro NL tables.

Super System II is also a good read with a lot of gold in it.

EN

EDIT: i do have a copy of HOH vol1 which was recently purchased and have it at work. haven't had time to start it tho but it was also recommended as the poster above states. tnx.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

my next purchase will be Professional No Limit, but from the posts i've read it might be a bit too complex for me. i'm no mathematician and stack to pot ratios (SPR's) sound a bit above me for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

The math is simple. Just comparing the size of the pot to the size of the effective stacks. Pot is $7, effective stacks are $62, than SRP is ~9. That's about as much math as you need.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:40 PM

cardrunners.com