Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 06:11 PM

Default Re: X-Post: poker pro - hardest job there is?

most jobs that pay $100+/hr are going to have their stressful times. if you think poker is too stressful, you should probably find another line of work. there are plenty of jobs more difficult than poker that dont even pay well.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:32 PM

I think it's pretty silly to compare playing poker to surgery. I also think it's silly to say some mindless jobs are harder just because they're crappy.

Poker is not a normal 9-5 because you don't get a lot of downtime. whenever you're playing you're constantly doing something. it's difficult to motivate yourself to put in hours.

I've played full time for about two years now, and the past 6 months i've been so burned out i've barely played. I just lived off my roll. It's not like I disliked playing poker, I just had enough money to not have to and did other stuff.

I'm grinding hard now because all of a sudden my cushion is not large at all and my roll is dwindling down past 5 figs. There are plenty of times when I wish I was disciplined enough to stay in a 10 year medical program just so I could have financial security later without the pressure of going busto and constantly second guessing myself whether I am good enough to make it.

however, other than the actual playing poker, I LOVE the lifestyle it affords me and am going to continue to do it as long as i am not busto. If i start to really hate it I'll go back to school, but I still enjoy playing.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:59 PM

Assassin?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:24 AM

Op doenst seem very bright,

There are actually 15 yo girls out there doing not so cool stuff for 3$ a day and 11 yo kids working 15/h a day in factory / mine for 100$/month.

So you may have some decision to take wether you bet or c/r but thats not nearly as hard as what other people do for a living.

I hope you go bust soon and have to suck dick for a living and then you come back create a thread to tell us what is the hardest job in the world.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:34 AM

Hahahah! if OP isnt a level i've lost all faith in nvg. come to think of it i lost that faith months ago
Old 10-22-2007, 12:58 AM

If you feel that way then you're not doing something right
Old 10-22-2007, 02:53 AM

LOL

I play 9 or 10 tables of NL 6-max while I watch movies, surf the net, and/or talk to multiple people on AIM. At the same time I take notes on all my opponents, and maintain a pretty healthy winrate.

I imagine you haven't been doing this long. After awhile 99% of decisions are automatic.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:27 AM

If you're a grinder who keeps adding tables until it gets tough - then it's like being an air traffic controller. You have to make the occasional tense decision while simultaneously maintaining a high volume of simpler decisions. ATC is a [censored] job and pay sucks compared to well-trained poker pro. Also poker pro has a cool boss, gets to make own schedule, doesn't commute, and can work in bare feet.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Op doenst seem very bright

[/ QUOTE ]

there is a huge difference between not bright and lacking in perspective due to life experience. just saying....
Old 10-22-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you a moron? Police, Fire Brigade, minumum wage workers doing [censored] jobs. GTFO poker pro is a lucrative hobby. Are you living in the real world?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cop : Sit around, eat donuts. My old man was a cop for 28yrs, pretty cruisy job.

Fire dude : Sit around even more. Go have fun fighting fire when bells rings - cool job.

Min. wage dude : Soooooo, cleaner? What's hard about that job? McDonald's worker... seems pretty easy, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stopped reading thread after this post.

You sir are clearly a prick, get over yourself and quit whining. Otherwise go out and clean toilets for 50 hours a week and have 200 bucks to show for it at the end.

Seriously, i thought your first post was reasonable, but read this again and think about how you sound.