Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 11:12 PM

Default Went to Rush concert last night

What a trip... last time I saw Rush live was '82 and I was in high school. Now my 17 year old bass guitar playing son and his friends like Rush, and it was his idea to go to the concert. We got lawn tickets at the Woodlands outdoors pavilion North of Houston. No warm up band, Rush took the stage at 7:45 and played till 9pm, then again from 9:30 till almost 11. Very nice...

Wow what a great show!!! The sound system was incredible, you could really hear each instrument with upmost clarity. I really enjoyed those times when the guys would just rip and jam. Neil's drum solo was the best I've ever heard in my life. Alex sounded awesome, played Les Paul guitars all night long, with the occasional acoustic. Geddy was most impressive on the bass, I know my son was inspired. This was a fun night.

My only complaint was that the band sounded too much like their records. Just once I woulda liked to hear an improved solo... and I can never understand what Geddy is singing but who cares about lyrics anyway. Was a fun night out. Glad I brought my earplugs.

L8r.. BB
Old 08-16-2007, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Went to Rush concert last night

awesome, what was your favorite song
Old 08-16-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the band sounded too much like their records.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's one of my favorite things about Rush (been to 3 shows), and from what I've heard/read, it's something they really strive to achieve.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:45 AM

I also went to high school in Houston and Rush was HUGE there. I've seen them 4 times, I think. Amazed that Geddy's voice hasn't gone away by now.

"This is a song about a car, this is Red Barchetta."
Old 08-16-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's one of my favorite things about Rush (been to 3 shows), and from what I've heard/read, it's something they really strive to achieve.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. If I wanted to hear alternative jamming versions of songs I like I'd have been a Grateful Dead fan. And I wasn't.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. If I wanted to hear alternative jamming versions of songs I like I'd have been a Grateful Dead fan. And I wasn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

But Rush is at the opposite extreme, where they sound so much like their record, you might as well just buy the DVD of Rush in Rio (great DVD, by the way), instead of spending money on concert tickets, because they'll play it the exact same anyway.

I'll use Dream Theater (another prog-rock band) as a counter-example. They are about as far from a jam band as possible, what with the keyboardist and guitarist being nits about getting everything perfect. Yet they vary their shows. They'll do medleys of songs in different ways. They'll improvise on the few sections of songs that allow for improvisation.

Lack of spontaniety may be good for a one-off concert. But it becomes boring if you see the band multiple times.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:02 PM

dream theater is hot [censored]
Old 08-16-2007, 04:16 PM

I've gotta agree with Gus. While obviously I don't expect every band (or any band for that matter) to do what the Dead did in terms of jamming - a little variety would be nice. What's the point of seeing a band in concert if they just replicate their albums note for note?
Old 08-16-2007, 04:23 PM

b/c listening to a record/cd/dvd is not comparable to the atmosphere of a live concert
Old 08-16-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
b/c listening to a record/cd/dvd is not comparable to the atmosphere of a live concert

[/ QUOTE ]Agreed. But if they play the same concert all the time, would you want to see them again?

There was a local band that my wife was really into. We saw them probably 2-3 times a year before they went national. Problem is, after the 3rd time I went, I realized that every show would be the exact same and didn't want to go. It wasn't until about the 6th show I went to that they finally changed things around, adding new songs, old songs, covers, and some improv stuff. That's when they became interesting again.