Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 03:03 AM

Default $1.20 SnG - Could I have folded this?

Obviously we were already in money. My read was BB is pretty tight, haven't seen much aggression from him/her. I actually thought I was outkicked, but couldn't bring myself to fold since I had top pair in 3-handed. And I'd still have enough chips if I lose.

Would a fold have been good? Thanks.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (3 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB (t1930)
BB (t3480)
Hero (t8090)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t1000</font>, Hero calls t400.

Flop: (t2100) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t2480</font>, Hero calls t1880.

Turn: (t7060) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t7060) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t7060
Old 10-11-2007, 03:14 AM

Default Re: $1.20 SnG - Could I have folded this?

If bb is really that tight you should fold preflop. A6o is a pretty horrible holding in a 3-bet pot, even in position. I don't think you can fold on the flop since this is basically as good as it gets for A6.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:14 AM

After her repops you on the flop I think you can fold. Bet/3bet is a pretty strong line, even at a 1.20
Old 10-11-2007, 03:22 AM

Dude, when you call the raise preflop, you're pretty much committing yourself to getting it in if you flop an ace. If you aren't, you have nowhere to go in that hand postflop.

I'd call. His weak lead says "I have a flush draw" or even "I have king high" to me. You shouldn't have given the rest of the hand, by the way. Stop at the action point, because the rest of the hand suggests that he had a bigger flush card than you and that's why you're posting. If he pushed with a flush draw, you made a great call and don't need to beat yourself up.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:06 AM

Thank you all. Next time I will not give rest of hand.

It never occurred to me that I should've folded preflop though. I thought against any hand but aces I was at least 4:1, and pot odd was better than that. Do I really consider folding preflop in this case 'cos the re-raise signal a really strong hand? Or is it more like what drzen says, that I'm committing to putting everything in if I flop an ace. And I should avoid putting everything in with marginal hand like A6o?

Btw, I'd been making 3BB raise on button almost everytime. And usually both either fold preflop, or check flop and fold when I bet. This was the first re-raise.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:11 AM

Raising preflop is fine but I'm folding preflop because it's not a good hand to get someone's stack with unless you flop 2 pairs. Your outkicked by pretty much every ace that's reraising you and you're unlikely to get paid off from high pairs when you get lucky and an ace does flop. It's reverse implied odds. Once you do flop top pair I'm certainly not raising, I'd likely just call down and maybe even fold to future bets. Your flop raise doesn't accomplish much since there isn't really any worse hand that plays the same way preflop that will end up paying you off.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:49 AM

I raise to t500 at this stage and large stack size, call push from SB and fold to rr/push from BB. Their flop bet is rather strange, looks kind of like underpair type hands, JJ-KK or JT+. Flush draw seems like they would bet more. Call or push IMO. Either one looks fine to me.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:25 AM

I'd raise pre flop MORE - and when an Ace hits I'm pushing. You have a TON of chips and you should be a bully.

If you lose - deal with it - it's not like 8000 is a safe amount. You are in a position to gamble and push people around.

Motto - Survive, Accumulate, Destroy! You are in Destroy mode.

I'm with vix on this one - looks like an underpair.

BB bets 200? I say FU and push it. If you lose you are still in a fight - not crippled. As you say "And I'd still have enough chips if I lose."