Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Range practice- how valuable is it?

The "what are your goals" thread got me thinking about this. I won't have the time to play much this summer, however, there is a range right by my house. I find it very relaxing to hit balls, but aside from that, how much would going there consistently actually help my game? Obviously there are some things you won't be able to work on, but how valuable is hitting a large bucket everyday for your swing? Is it valuable at all? I've heard differing opinions on this in the past.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Range practice- how valuable is it?

So long as you're hitting balls with good mechanics, practicing is great for your swing. But, you want to make sure that you're not practicing bad habits.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:21 PM

Just have a purpose when you're practicing. Don't go blast 100 drivers in 30 minutes. Spend half your time on pitch shots. Just concentrate on hitting the ball solid. Do 30yd, then 40, 50, etc. Tempo, tempo, tempo. Then your driver will a piece of cake.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:27 PM

If you're practicing sound mechanics with a purpose, no one should give you a different opinion than its extremely helpful.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:35 PM

Pick a target for every shot and watch its result. So many people just hit the ball and reach for another. So pointless.

Alos lay a club down to help you with alignment.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:46 PM

I'm a pretty good range hitter, I'd say, in terms of productivity. I usually don't even bring my driver, I just grab a wedge, a 7, and a 4. I might even over think everything.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:27 PM

It will be productive if you are practicing the right things. Go there with a purpose, whether it be to work on your setup,routine, ball position, ball flight, fixing the slice...etc

You want to practice good habits that you can bring to the courses. These habits will become imprinted in your brain so that you feel totally comfortable when on the course. So every few balls you should be going through your full routine and hitting toward a very specific target. Practice is invaluable if done correctly.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:53 PM

Develop a solid preshot routine as well if you dont have one already.

i.e. I choose my target line and use the shaft to choose a point on the ground directly in front of the ball to use to line up with. then set the club down lined up with that, set my feet, waggle once, pull the trigger.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:55 AM

Hitting off a mat is much differnt from turf, how ever if you take it seriosly and take your time and hit at targets your doing yourself well. Dont practice your hook or slice over and over.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:33 AM

Definitely hit off of grass if you can, and definitely have a specific target. Give your mind some feedback as well, when you hit a good one tell your mind "nice shot, or thats the way to do it" when you hit one not as intended use it as feedback and try not to be judgemental"went to far left, hit it a little thin, too far right" avoid "that sucked and that was horrible" These mental tips will help train your subconcious.