Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 11:02 AM

Default U.S. Presidents Cup team

The Presidents Cup, this year being held in Canada, is five months away (Sept. 27-30). The selection criteria is top 10 in the Presidents Cup points standings plus two captain picks (note that the U.S. Ryder Cup selection criteria has changed to top 8 in the Ryder Cup points standings with four captain picks which I hope the Presidents Cup adopts going forward after this year). The current top 25 in the U.S. Presidents Cup points standings are:

1 - Tiger Woods
2 - Jim Furyk
3 - Phil Mickelson
4 - Charles Howell III
5 - Zach Johnson
6 - Mark Calcavecchia
7 - Brett Wetterick
8 - John Rollins
9 - David Toms
10 - Lucas Glover
11 - Chad Campbell
12 - Vaughn Taylor
13 - Davis Love III
14 - Bart Bryant
15 - Nick Watney
16 - Tom Pernice, Jr.
17 - Stewart Cink
18 - Dean Wilson
19 - Heath Slocum
20 - Jerry Kelly
21 - J.J. Henry
22 - Joe Durant
23 - Jason Bohn
24 - Steve Stricker
25 - Fred Funk
33 - Chris DiMarco

The top three (Tiger, Furyk, and Lefty) are rock solid top five players in the world. This trio will form the nucleus of the U.S. team.

This leaves nine slots open to complete the team. Which nine players are you hoping to complete the team and why?

Here are mine:

1: Zach Johnson - The thirty-one year old is playing with confidence after his clutch performance in Augusta. He is currently 8th in scoring average, 4th in driving accuracy, and 19th in putting. He is having a great year and will be a great asset to this squad.

2: David Toms - A veteran of three Ryder Cup and two Presidents Cup teams. The forty year old is 10 for 10 in cuts made this year. He is 41st in all around ranking and 23rd in putting. A solid veteran who will be looked up to by the younger players.

3: Davis Love III - The forty-three year old would be the patriarch of the squad. DLIII is a veteran of 6 Ryder Cup teams and 6 Presidents Cup teams. Although not as long off the tee as two or three years ago, DLIII is 24th in total driving. His putting has been poor this year but the experience he brings is invaluable. I feel it is a big mistake if he isn't on the squad that goes to Canada.

4: Vaughn Taylor - The thirty-one year old Augusta native is having a strong season (24th in FedEx Cup standings; 3 top tens). He is currently 8th in all around, 4th in par breakers, and 9th in putting. Don't be surprised if Taylor plays himself into the top ten in points and automatically onto the team.

5: John Rollins - The thirty-one year old is 6th in the FedEx Cup standings and has two 2nd place finishes on the season. 4th in all-around, 14th in par breakers, 36th in total driving, 27th in putting. "Steady as she goes", Rollins is playing too well to overlook for this team. Could be the surprise performer for the U.S. squad that helps put the team over the top.

6: Charles Howell III - The twenty-seven year old is having a career year. A win, two seconds, and 3rd in the FedEx Cup race. CHIII has played in one previous Presidents Cup and has no Ryder Cup experience. The U.S. needs this guy to begin getting reps in these formats because he should be a staple of the team over the next 10+ years.

7: Mark Calcavecchia - "Calc" has witnessed a resurgence in his game. He is very fickle with his putting grip and style but is getting results nonetheless this season. Calc is 5th in the FedEx Cup standings, 16th in par breakers, 17th in all-around, and 32nd in putting. As long as Calc's back stays healthy look for him to be on the team.

8: Bart Bryant - The forty-four year old is 31st in the FedEx Cup standings, 13th in all-around, and 13th in par breakers. Although he doesn't have RC or PC experience, he does seem to stand up well under pressure and the last few years he has been an exceptional player on tour.

9: If Chris DiMarco is in form. If not, Sean O'Hair.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:54 PM

Default Re: U.S. Presidents Cup team

4 - Boo Weekly- I love his style

5- Hunter Mayhan- This is a stretch, but he's a great ball stricker and has Oklahoma connections.

6- Anthony Kim- I'm not sure if he is an american but he went to school at OU and has tons of confidence.

7- JJ Henry- I thought he played quite well at the Ryder Cup

8- Zach Johnson- Masters champ has to make the team

9-Lucas Glover- Saw him interviewed the other day and was impressed.

10- Chad Campbell- Has proven himself in these types of competitions.

11- Mark Calcavecchia- I love Calc and would like to see him redeem himself from the Kiawah Island meltdown.

12- Scott Verplank- Again an Oklahoma connection but what can I say I'm a homer.

Oh sh*t, I left out Charles Howell III. I'd have to put him in implace of Verplank. Make Verplank my first alternate.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:21 PM

Can we drop Phil? Seriously? If not here are the nine I like:

1. David Toms

2. Zach Johnson

3. Stewart Cink

4. Heath Slocum

5. Chad Campbell

6. Jerry Kelly

7. Lucas Glover

8. DL III

9. Freddy Cup Cup if his back gets into shape
Old 04-27-2007, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can we drop Phil? Seriously? If not here are the nine I like:

1. David Toms

2. Zach Johnson

3. Stewart Cink

4. Heath Slocum

5. Chad Campbell

6. Jerry Kelly

7. Lucas Glover

8. DL III

9. Freddy Cup Cup if his back gets into shape

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting point to make in regards to leaving Phil off the roster. He really has underwhelmed for far too long in the RC and PC.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:57 PM

Anyone just feel like the US is seriously lacking in firepower? Besides Tiger/Phil who can really WOW you from this list. It used to be we would win these (albeit closely) because we just had a dominant amount of talent. That's not the case anymore as we will certainly be outclassed against the rest of the world this year.