Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 09:52 AM

Default Worst Part of this Line?

$1 + $0.25 45-player SnG (Full Tilt). Blinds t20/t40.

Typical table at these stakes, but no read on BB.

Hero (t1,630)
BB (t1,260)

5 folds.
Hero is in the CO with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and raises to t150.
Button and SB fold.
BB calls.

Pot = t320

FLOP: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks. Hero checks behind.

TURN: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB bets t40. CO raises to t300. BB calls.

Pot= t920

RIVER: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]

BB bets t500
Hero?
Old 10-09-2007, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Worst Part of this Line?

Not betting the flop in position.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you ever check behind here? I checked in the hope that he would either improve his hand or bluff the turn. I was worried about the two clubs, but there have been some compelling arguments made around here recently that you can be overly concerned about blocking flushes.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you ever check behind here?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not facing a flop like that one. It's very possible he already hit a piece of it and will call a pretty large bet. You're in position and expected to bet because you were the pre-flop aggressor. Go ahead and do what he expects...
Old 10-09-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you ever check behind here? I checked in the hope that he would either improve his hand or bluff the turn. I was worried about the two clubs, but there have been some compelling arguments made around here recently that you can be overly concerned about blocking flushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking about this. I think the difference between this hand and the one Hamnegger posted a couple of days ago was that in that hand Villain bet the flop, and the consensus decision was to call instead of raise. The idea was that Villain was giving action, and we could maximize value against weaker hands by calling and letting him fire again. And we were willing to accept the risk of a flush draw to get the extra value. Here, Villain hasn't bet, so we need to initiate action to get paid for the set (and simultaneously make Villain overpay to draw on any straight or flush).

Also, why so big pre-flop? Just mixing it up, or do you have an idea here?
Old 10-09-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I was thinking about this. I think the difference between this hand and the one Hamnegger posted a couple of days ago was that in that hand Villain bet the flop, and the consensus decision was to call instead of raise. The idea was that Villain was giving action, and we could maximize value against weaker hands by calling and letting him fire again. And we were willing to accept the risk of a flush draw to get the extra value. Here, Villain hasn't bet, so we need to initiate action to get paid for the set (and simultaneously make Villain overpay to draw on any straight or flush).

Also, why so big pre-flop? Just mixing it up, or do you have an idea here?

[/ QUOTE ]

That distinction makes sense. My check was too clever by half.

In terms of the pf raise, with small to medium pairs in that spot, aren't we happy to just take the blinds? I think a limp there gets called by the button a lot and puts me in a tough position in the absence of a set. It also gives the blinds a cheap shot to pair a high card. I think a straight 3xBB bet in that position can look like a standard steal attempt with nothing and often attracts curious parties. So I chose something between 3 and 4 to look a little more thoughtful/serious. Sound?
Old 10-09-2007, 11:15 AM

Meh, I don't mind the flop check usually. TJ Cloutier says that heads up after flopping a set he will usually check.

On this particular hand, you are only going to get stacks in if he has an ace so I would go ahead and bet the flop. Think about it, if he has KJ, and he turned his jack. Will he stack of thinking "oh he checkd the flop so he must not have an ace, surely I can go ahead and stack off." Probably not.

Edit: I begrudgingly(sp?) muck the river.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:17 AM

Reading hands like these put on me on tilt.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reading hands like these put on me on tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I didn't use a hand converter or because I'm so incredibly stupid?
Old 10-09-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: I begrudgingly(sp?) muck the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think about Villain's bet of 1/8 of the pot on the turn? What do you think of the size of re-raise giving him 2.5:1 to call?