Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 07:43 AM

Default $50 medicore combo draw gets 4bet

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

<font color="black">Hero (SB): $50.50</font>
<font color="black">BB: $53.00</font>
<font color="black">UTG: $58.40</font>
MP: $73.25
CO: $49.25
<font color="black">BTN: $51.40</font>

<font color="black">Reads: </font><font color="blue">villian 8/0 35 hands</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG calls $0.50, 2 folds, BTN calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.25, BB checks

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($2) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 Players)
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $2.00</font>, BTN folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $7.25</font>, BB folds, <font color="red">UTG raises all-in to $57.90</font>, Hero?

obviously this is just a question of putting villain on a range. this villain looks a bit weird from his early stats, so have a stab at giving him a range, and also give a complete unknown a range for this action.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:34 AM

Default Re: $50 medicore combo draw gets 4bet

My attempt at a range for this villain- 66/77/JJ, ATd, AKd, 98d/T9d/54d
Old 06-06-2007, 09:29 AM

range for villian is sets and 89d-AJd MAYBE just a bare Ad but highly unlikely I think after your check raise he figures youll go all the way with this hand and sticks it in. Donk think you can call here IMO
Old 06-06-2007, 09:30 AM

oh yeh sorry not a 4bet. too late to edit...
Old 06-06-2007, 09:45 AM

Big picture, his range is {a better hand than ours, often a better draw than ours, occasionally a draw that we can beat}.

The pot is offering us very little in the way of overlay. I don't think you can call here. Do you really want to play a monster pot with a weak top pair and a suspect draw? You need a really good read that the villain is out of line to call here, I think.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My attempt at a range for this villain- 66/77/JJ, ATd, AKd, 98d/T9d/54d

[/ QUOTE ]I like that range with some suited 1-gaps thrown in. Only slightly wider with an unknown. fold to both
Old 06-06-2007, 09:59 AM

thoughts on the rest of my line?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Big picture, his range is {a better hand than ours, often a better draw than ours, occasionally a draw that we can beat}.

The pot is offering us very little in the way of overlay. I don't think you can call here. Do you really want to play a monster pot with a weak top pair and a suspect draw? You need a really good read that the villain is out of line to call here, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

These were my thoughts on it too.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:17 AM

I think the check raise is ok here as long as you're willing to give up the hand to real pressure. You have a medium strength hand with a sketchy draw out of position. You really only want to spend so much on it. There's a lot to be said for resolving the hand early before you get sucked into calling bets on the flop and river when your flush doesn't materialize. I think the bet probably works out favorably often enough to make it worthwhile.

Looking at it another way, if you check/called (check folding is out of the question, of course). A diamond dropped and you check with the intention of raising, he checks behind. You aren't making much on the hand. Now say you lead and he sticks in a big raise. How are you feeling about your hand when the villain wants to play a big pot on a 4 flushed board. Not so good, I would think. You're best hope for calling is that he has a hand like 9dtd and he'll put a bit of money in the pot on a 4 flushed board. Those are pretty slim pickins.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:39 AM

I agree we need to act on the flop. I don't see huge advantages to leading over C/R. Seems about the same to me.