Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2006, 06:04 AM

Default checking it down with an all-in player on the side

okay, so player A, who is tilting and tired and probably just wants to go home, open-pushes all-in for $80.

i fold my hand. then next player to act, player B, thinks for a little while and makes the call. his buddy, player C, sitting next to him, really wants to make the call. he asks player B if it is okay for him to call. player B tells him to do whatever he likes. then player C responds by asking "do you just want to check it down?" player B says "okay." and then player C makes the $80 call.

now at this point, i seem to be the only one paying attention to the action and i point out to the dealer quite sternly that player B and player C just agreed to collusion against player A and this should not be allowed to take place. the dealer agrees and says "yeah you guys can't do that." but does nothing to enforce it and player C is allowed to make the call. everybody else folds and player B and player C check it down post-flop.

what should have happened?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:17 AM

Default Re: checking it down with an all-in player on the side

I definetely don't know for sure but my guess would be that both their hands are ruled dead and A takes the pot. I don't think kicking them out is justfiable here but I am probably way off.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:04 AM

Believe it or not, I have heard this in nl cash games so often its sick. Recently, I started skipping calling the floor and just went right to threatening the player who initiates any sort of question about calling/checking it down to kill their hand. You wouldnt believe the attitude I am given, too... ITS CLEAR AS DAY COLLUSION PEOPLE! I am going to bring it up to my shift boss at work that every floor gets on the same page and makes the following ruling:

If the all-in player gets called, then a 3rd person asks the caller if he wants to check it down, his hand becomes dead immediately, without even receiving an answer from the caller...
Old 08-09-2006, 10:36 AM

yea, i can't stand this in cash games, see it often too. this is a big no no IMO.

In tourney play, ok to check it down to try and eliminate player, BUT not ok to ask first. As soon as you ask, hand should be dead.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:19 AM

Obviously, in tournament play, such a form of collusion is more costly to the victim. And the pros have signs to acknowledge that such a play is going down.

Mickey Brausch
Old 08-09-2006, 11:31 AM

Sadly this is not uncommon. When it happens I tell the players they can't do that, but there isn't much else i can do. If I call the floor all the floor does (if anything) is tell them not to do that.n fact i am of the opinion that it is just as bad for two players to agre eto check it down even without a third player all in but I can't get them to stop that and I doubt half the floor people at my place would even back me up if I called them.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the dealer agrees and says "yeah you guys can't do that." but does nothing to enforce it

[/ QUOTE ]

at this point you say, "Floor!
Old 08-09-2006, 02:40 PM

Seriously, call the floor.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
n fact i am of the opinion that it is just as bad for two players to agre eto check it down even without a third player all in

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there is anything wrong with this at all...
Old 08-09-2006, 03:33 PM

So you think its Okay for two players to bet out the other players then just agree to check it down? How about if they bet out their opponents and then agree to chop it?