Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 09:51 PM

Default turning a hand

i made a bet on the flop in a 2/5 heads up the other guy moves all in and turns over pocket kings and sits back.and ask wat r u doin he said do u want to play or not? the dealer said it was fine to do that. anyone see or hear of this before?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Re: turning a hand

Happens all the time. If it was a tournament then his hand would be dead but in a live game this, as far as to my still limited knowledge, is legal.

Players will use it to get information or if they are friends or like the person they are up against will use it so the other person doesnt lose as much money.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:31 PM

In this situation it is a little unusual I think in that the bettor flipped his hand over. I could see someone who is considering calling doing it to get a read, but why would someone give away information to you before you make the call.

My guess would be he figured he was ahead but was afraid of you sucking out, so he wanted you to fold. He should be encouraged to do this all the time.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:03 PM

This is amazing and I wished everyone would do this to me. It makes your decision a heck of a lot easier.

I've actually had someone do this to me, and they had me crushed so I let it go.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:33 PM

Its almost always allowed, but turning over your hands when your opponent is debating a call is sometimes met with a warning (and subsequent penalties like having it declared dead if you continue doing it).

Seems like a pretty nice situation to be in though.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:01 AM

I've often wanted to do it when I have aces, because they are usually the kiss of death. I'd be content with winning the small pre-flop pot.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've often wanted to do it when I have aces, because they are usually the kiss of death. I'd be content with winning the small pre-flop pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be a really bad player.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was playing at the Borgata not too long ago, and it was a really fun table and we were joking around a lot. Preflop there was a bunch of action and it comes back to me 3 bet with two guys left to act. I made a big 4-bet. The guy after me thinks for a couple of minutes and folds. I'm not really paying attention so I flip my cards up because for some reason I had thought the other guy was all-in.

He laughs and insta-mucked his cards since he still had about 2 or 3 hundred behind. He claimed to have pocket tens or jacks and would have folded anyway, but who knows. Although since I was down 4 or 5 hundred at that point I was pretty happy to pick up about 150 without risking anything.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I told this story once but it seems to kinda fit...

Playing NL and one guy has been sucked out on over and over. He's frustrated and is on his 3rd buy-in. So the flop comes out on a hand where he's first to act and he's got like $200 left. There's $80 in the pot and 4 players saw the flop. He says "sorry, but I have a theory and I have to test it" and he turns face up something like JJ on a JT6 flop and announces "all-in". Fold, fold, CALL! Turn and river come out and the player who called triumphantly turns over the flush draw or straight draw that he hit. JJ shakes his head, says "yep, that's what I thought", and walks away.

Don't be surprised if you turn AA face up as you announce "all-in" and get called. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2007, 05:56 AM

I've posted a story similar to bav's. Mine takes place literally weeks after the Moneymaker sensation swept the land, and every newb and his brother packed the poker rooms.

$1-2 NL. UTG makes it $80 to go (!). Several folds, a LP player calls. All fold to the BB, who moves all-in for about $375.

UTG snap-calls, and turns up his KK. BB quickly tables his AA.

"Hold on, fellas," says the dealer, "We got another player in this pot."

LP asks the dealer what the rules are in such a situation. The dealer tells him, "It's your turn to act. You can call all your chips, or fold."

LP ponders for a moment, calls (!!!!!!), and turns up KK (??????).

(Miraculously, AA somehow managed to hang on and win this one.)

[ QUOTE ]
If it was a tournament then his hand would be dead...

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if I'll live long enough to see the day that people stop saying that.