Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 11:40 AM

Default live game

ok i had pocket aces and the flop was another ace and 2 spades i didn't bet on the flop because of a possible flush did i do everything correct?
Old 06-27-2007, 11:56 AM

Default Re: live game

Limit or no limit? Preflop action? Stakes? Stack sizes (if NL)?

However, not betting the flop with top set is usually a serious error unless you're sure someone behind you will bet and then you check-raise.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok i had pocket aces and the flop was another ace and 2 spades i didn't bet on the flop because of a possible flush did i do everything correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

How could there be a possible flush with 2 spades?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:37 PM

If you meant a flush draw, instead of possible flush, usually it is correct to bet in that situation. As Kurn said it can be dependant on a lot of factors, but typically you make money in poker by causing your opponent to make mistakes. You want to bet enough that if your opponent is drawing to a flush he is making a mistake calling, due to the odds.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:31 PM

just knowing what is in the op...you should have bet. In fact you should bet if there was 2 to a flush and you should have bet if there was 3 to a flush. If someone check raises you reevaluate, if they just call just hope the board pairs or at least doesn't come with a 4th spade.

my two scents [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2007, 05:29 PM

Not raising lets the people behind you have a chance to see a free card, which may possibly hurt you. By betting, you're creating worse pot odds for them than the infinite odds they're getting by you not betting.

Something else to think about: do you have the ace of spades? If so, and a third spade falls on the turn, it would most likely be profitable to call nearly any raise, since you'd have 7 outs from the backdoor flush hitting (assuming a large raise does actually mean villian has 2 spades), and another 9 outs from the board pairing, giving you the nuts full house. Plus one more out for the case A, which gives you 17 total, equalling 1.71 to 1 odds. Of course this is assuming villian doesn't have a straight flush or quads, but you'd get stacked with those anyway. Am I on base with this logic?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:09 PM

well the ace on the flop was a spade and by seeing that made me wonder if someone had a spade flush. well when we flipped our cards a guy had a spade flush with 5,7 only thing i did was check down to the river
Old 06-28-2007, 03:52 PM

I still think this might be incorrect due to allowing someone with one spade to draw. I think you should have bet the flop. If you were reraised, consider letting it go. If you are just called, then it might be worth considering checking the turn. Even if he already has the flush, you have 6 outs on the flop and 9 on the river to the full house.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely Not!

Flopping a set of aces with no possible flush or straight on the board is practically a must raise situation. Barring a made straight or a flush, you've got the best possible hand. Even an opponent with a straight/flush draw is a dog against you:

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=2813746
pokenum -h as ad - 8c 9c -- ah 6c 7c
Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing 7c 6c Ah
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
As Ad 573 57.88 417 42.12 0 0.00 0.579
9c 8c 417 42.12 573 57.88 0 0.00 0.421

You want to see as much (of your opponents') money going into the pot as is possible under these circumstances.

In a structured game, that means bet and re-bet. In a non-structured game, if you're afraid of the flush draw, you'll want to raise more than a third of the pot if you're afraid of the flush or straight draw (and then raise better than a third again on the turn if it doesn't hit).

If you've got the ace of the potential flush suit, you've also got the makings of an excellent bluff opportunity if the flush does hit.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:55 PM

well it was my opp who flopped the nut flush i only had a set after the flop on the turn i checked and the river i bet 500 and he called and turned his cards over and he had the spade flush