Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games

Old 11-27-2007, 12:47 PM

Default 5cd FL--> PL

Hi! I'm a winning 5 card draw FL player, and I'm thinking about moving to PL. What are the main things I need to think about when doing this?
Old 11-27-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Re: 5cd FL--> PL

make callable bets when you want a call, and use your muscle/cunning to drag pots you could not win in FL.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:40 PM

What about opening? How much to raise pre-draw? How much to raise pre-draw with a limper?
And also, how many BB may a good player earn from 2-4 tabling?
Old 11-27-2007, 03:10 PM

i would strongly recommend 1-tabling, at least at first, if you plan to improve [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] its not really a cookie-cutter game. you can play alot tighter or looser than the limit standards and still win, depends on the table.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:46 PM

I'd say, Bedz, that basically (at 'median' limits at least) pot limit players have tighter opening standards than limit players, which seems a big flaw to me. I think raising a little more agressively predraw is a good idea, you'll get more free blinds than at limit, while making a good cover for your big hands. Meanwhile, calling a raise should be tighter too, as they raise with less hands ...
For the amount of the raise predraw, min-raising usually does fine, but you have to adapt to your opponents and to the situation.

Also, drawing hands get somehwat up in value, as they might be nice money makers in case of a clash with trips or so.
Once again, for the size of the postdraw bet, I think it's extremely opponent dependent.

Hoping that this stuff might be of some use to you ;-)
Old 11-28-2007, 02:36 PM

sorry for "median" ; I meant low/medium.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about opening? How much to raise pre-draw? How much to raise pre-draw with a limper?

[/ QUOTE ]

I open for 3 SB most every time, add at least a SB for every limper.

If already opened then raise or fold. I at least double the first raise in (ie, if he bet 3 SB I raise 3 SB to 6 SB).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don’t multi table 5CD, as I’d guess half my ‘earn’ comes from reads or feelings, which require watching in detail how one table plays it out.

Besides, I don’t think you can actually make a living off this (unless you come from, say, Kiev.)
Old 11-29-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I open for 3 SB most every time, add at least a SB for every limper.

If already opened then raise or fold. I at least double the first raise in (ie, if he bet 3 SB I raise 3 SB to 6 SB).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don’t multi table 5CD, as I’d guess half my ‘earn’ comes from reads or feelings, which require watching in detail how one table plays it out.

Besides, I don’t think you can actually make a living off this (unless you come from, say, Kiev.)

[/ QUOTE ]

SB ?

Small blinds : doenst make sense
Small bets : doenst make sense
Old 11-29-2007, 09:10 AM

My advice is to stick with fixed limit. In my view, pot- and no-limit adds much more complexity than it is worth in dollars (if any) in 5 card draw. 5 card draw is a game of many small edges, not a few big ones. Fixed limit exploits your opponents mistakes better than big bet limits. At lower variation, and lower strain to your brain...
Old 11-29-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My advice is to stick with fixed limit. In my view, pot- and no-limit adds much more complexity than it is worth in dollars (if any) in 5 card draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cannot believe this is true though I do like contrary opinions as a rule.

[ QUOTE ]
5 card draw is a game of many small edges, not a few big ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

The game died out because the fish could not catch up in one betting round no matter how many cards they took. There are no big edges because there are so few fish playing draw nowadays. Indeed, I switched to seven stud even though I was a 1.1 big bet winner per hundred hands over 55.000+ hands. A figure that is derisory from the vantage point of my seven stud exploits.

[ QUOTE ]
Fixed limit exploits your opponents mistakes better than big bet limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your regular non-fish but still mistake making opponents are calling too much because they perceive the pot to be big enough when it is not then yes, but what else?

[ QUOTE ]
At lower variation, and lower strain to your brain...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The variance must be lower, but is it lower by definition, in that, limit has lower variance than pot limit or is it game dependent?