Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Recommendation on topic of next article

My next article on sports betting for the Two Plus Two Magazine is due tomorrow. I have a few topics in mind, but wanted to get an idea of what some people think as far as timing. One topic will be on the end of the NFL season (playoffs and/or end of regular season). I am choosing whether to write that article for the December issue (out on Dec 1, this Saturday). Or for the January issue, which is right after the regular season ends and before the playoffs begin. I don't want to write about the NFL for both issues. If I wait until the January issue to write about the NFL playoffs, the content can be more directed towards the specific seedings, match-ups, etc. If I write it now, it'll be more general, but I'll be able to write about getting into the playoffs.

I'm leaning towards the latter, but wanted to get some thoughts if people are interested in commenting.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Recommendation on topic of next article

An article that is more general in nature is probably best. Holds more long term value.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:41 PM

I like the latter.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm leaning towards the latter, but wanted to get some thoughts if people are interested in commenting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one do you mean by "the latter"? January is later in time but the last thing you mentioned was December.

I vote for whatever would be more general, and very strongly for either one over nothing at all.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:51 PM

I agree about the more general the better. I think an analysis of the impact of various end of regualar season scenarios (teams w/ playoff hopes versus teams out of the playoffs, teams that are expected to rest players vs. others, etc.) would be very interesting. I do realize you said it's due tomorrow, so it may not be possible...I imagine you may have much of the info already though.

Looking forward to the article no matter which way you go.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:17 PM

I guess I'm the only one who would prefer a delay so that the specific playoffs can be analyzed in greater detail. He can speak in generalities now and then some other aspect comes up between now and then that actually changes things.

Personally, I don't think it would be so horrible to do both articles.
Do a general one now and then a follow-up that shows how this year's playoffs work or perhaps don't work into that.

It's not like the 2+2 mag articles are novel-length. Oftentimes they can be somewhat short so I have no problem with turning it into a 2-parter if it can be done in a way that doesn't completely repeat the content.

Sounds like King isn't interested in doing that though because he doesn't want to do back to back football articles and I'm not sure there are many readers besides me for something like that either.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:15 PM

i would like to hear king yao's take on bet sizing

(ie how often he flat bets, how often he does multi-unit plays, how he weights things.... weighting when the numbers are clear is one thing, but how did he weigh the miami-pittsburgh under last night, for example?)
Old 11-27-2007, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. It reminds me of my goal with these articles - to write something general that can be applied in other situations, but with specific examples. Using a current situation as an example makes it more interesting. So I'll probably work on NFL end-season / playoffs. Who knows, maybe I'll stretch it out to a follow-up in January if it makes sense.

As for the close deadline, no worries. I usually take a day or so to write my articles and proof-read them. So this one won't be any worse (nor any better if you didn't like previous articles) than what I have written.

Thanks again for the input guys.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:18 PM

Sorry for not being clear. By "the latter", I meant writing about NFL end-season/playoffs for the December issue. That's what I will do.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would like to hear king yao's take on bet sizing

(ie how often he flat bets, how often he does multi-unit plays, how he weights things.... weighting when the numbers are clear is one thing, but how did he weigh the miami-pittsburgh under last night, for example?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked him this when he was in the well. He bets a lot, so he's usually running into limits before he has to worry about betting too much. I assume this is because he bets a lot of lower limit/softer lines.