Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-29-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Sean Taylor Shot at Home

[ QUOTE ]
Rome and Whitlock (who's bit here is predictable and tired) are idiots here.

[/ QUOTE ]

lolol
Old 11-29-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like a part of this is just people generalizing Miami players. Which while unfair, is almost understandable given the image that the players in that program cultivated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that all the media stories basically have exactly the same storyline as the quotes from his friends/coworkers. Basically "dude turned the corner and started walking straight once his daughter was born".

That ain't just the media, it's everyone in his life I've seen with an expansive quote. The problem is people who are trying to interpret what "started to walk straight" implies about his prior behavior.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The second paragraph applies to the first. The people in the media doing the speculating are generally asshats with degrees in sports journalism or something similarly worthless. Instead of Rachel Nichols pretending to be on CSI or Jim Rome playing the role of homicide detective, why not just leave it at "the investigation is ongoing" and show some respect for the deceased instead of speculating just for shock value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Their viewers are more interested in hearing about speculation than hearing them say "the investigation is ongoing". People were complaining earlier in the thread that this wasn't receiving enough coverage, which way do you guys want it?
Old 11-29-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why is it unacceptable to speculate as to *why* this happened?

Unless someone here knew Taylor personally, nobody who is posting has the slightest idea what kind of person he was. IMO who he was lies in the spectrum ranging from "Great guy" to "dirtbag" and I have precisely zero evidence of where to place him in that spectrum.

[/ QUOTE ]

The second paragraph applies to the first. The people in the media doing the speculating are generally asshats with degrees in sports journalism or something similarly worthless. Instead of Rachel Nichols pretending to be on CSI or Jim Rome playing the role of homicide detective, why not just leave it at "the investigation is ongoing" and show some respect for the deceased instead of speculating just for shock value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent post.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:15 PM

people want the media covering a story such as this one without putting their opinions on it.

simple.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:38 PM

I personally dont know him. He was a great player and he loved the game. I did question some of his onfield antics like spitting in someones face. He got into a few legal problems but who hasnt. Regardless of if he is a gentleman or an asshat he didnt deserve to be murdered. The person who shot him had to be targeting him. First off you dont breakinto a home and just steal a knife and second you shoot him and leave when you realize he is home. He pissed off someone and someone aint talkin. I hope they catch the guy. On another note how many of us in todays day and time do not have a gun in there bedroom. I know if someone breaks in my house I go str8 for nightstand and go lookin. I hope they break in my room and as soon as he busts thru GG sir! Maybe Im worng but my family is safe and if I cant protect myself in my house then I need to kill myself!
Old 11-29-2007, 02:01 PM

I'm not sure why pointing out the fact that this is probably not a purely random act of is disrespectful.

The person who murdered him was almost certainly connected to him at some point in some way.

That doesn't make the crime itself or Taylor himself any different, it's just how things probably are.

The media (particularly sports media) is pretty much all hype, speculation, and opinion anyway, so this is gonna be no different.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only thing in the media that I have seen that is really bad is the ESPN bit that says his hit on Brian Mooreman tarnished the luster on his Probowl last year.

WTF. If Sean Taylor doesn't hit him its a first down, no in their right mind would bring that up as anything but positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rome's "your lifestyle determines your deathstyle" line was enough to make even Dids cringe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rome and Whitlock (who's bit here is predictable and tired) are idiots here. While I think people were probably a bit much in their praise of Taylor's character early on, trying to put any of the blame on him for this on him at this point is just stupid and insulting. From all reports it seems like Taylor might have been a guy who did some assholish things, but he's not gangbanger.

Seems like a part of this is just people generalizing Miami players. Which while unfair, is almost understandable given the image that the players in that program cultivated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a feeling you're dead wrong on this one Dids. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the right one.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

Rolle: Taylor was targeted
Ex-Miami teammate says friend lived in constant fear

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- Still in disbelief of his childhood friend's shooting death, Arizona Cardinals cornerback Antrel Rolle vowed Wednesday to make sure Sean Taylor is remembered.

He added he did not believe the killing was part of a burglary gone sour, and that Taylor had many enemies on the streets of Miami.

"This was not the first incident," Rolle said. "They've been targeting him for three years now."

Rolle said many former "friends" had it in for Taylor, who was trying to build a more stable life.

"He really didn't say too much," Rolle said, "but I know he lived his life pretty much scared every day of his life when he was down in Miami because those people were targeting him. At least, he's got peace now."

"There was so much surrounding him," Rolle said. "Everyone was talking about him bad, so he just had to distance himself from everyone and live a life of his own. ... Within the last year, I've never seen anyone make such a dramatic change,"

Withdrawing from a bad crowd isn't easy, though, Rolle said.

"They say it was a burglary. It absolutely was not a burglary," he said. "Down South, where we're from, there were many people targeting Sean, a lot of jealousy, a lot of angry people.

"Sean, he had a large group of friends, and he no longer hung out with those friends, so you never know where this came from."

<<< article goes on...>>>

What's really hard to understand is why he wouldn't just get the hell out of Miami? If you're living in constant fear, just move to a gated suburb in Virginia. Bring your whole extended family with if you need to. ESPECIALLY didn't he just have a break in 8 days prior? Was he trying to prove he was too much of a man to run?

I agree Whitlock is starting to sound repetitive on this black culture stuff. But he's literally the only one in the sports world, and the only fresh voice out there saying this. He's also not afraid to take on Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and the shakedown-for-money way their groups operate. Personally I don't mind if Whitlock keeps hammering his message home. I think it's a good one.

It's sort of like the few voices inside Islamic culture that have the guts to rail against extremists hijacking their religion. As an outsider, you kinda want those guys to keep yelling their message, even if some are tired of hearing it.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's really hard to understand is why he wouldn't just get the hell out of Miami? If you're living in constant fear, just move to a gated suburb in Virginia. Bring your whole extended family with if you need to. ESPECIALLY didn't he just have a break in 8 days prior? Was he trying to prove he was too much of a man to run?

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the questions I would really like to be answered.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's sort of like the few voices inside Islamic culture that have the guts to rail against extremists hijacking their religion

[/ QUOTE ]

don't want to derail this thread at all but i found that pretty offensive. 99.99% of muslims are against the actions of these extremists. go to any mosque, or muslim rally and you will hear this for yourself. the problem is the american media doesn't put this stuff out there for you to see. i would not expect such an ignorant comment from you suzzer.

anyways, back to the thread i agree wtf was ST still doing living in MIA? bottom line is that mia is just not a safe area. and why is he not in those gated communities in miami where gloria estefan and shaq live? or somewhere gated in coconut grove? i just don't understand why someone so high profile with enemies would live in a expensive 'regular' neighborhood.

also, i remember when whitlock was first coming up and was writing for the ann arbor news covering the univ of mich and the fab 5. he has always been someone in imo who just wants to write controversial stories to get his name out their. he knows that since hes black he can get away with saying things that others can't. i personally don't like him, but some of his topics are interesting, but pretty much nothing is 'wow', like he wants people to think.