16-20 26 16.67%
21-25 8 5.13%
26-30 4 2.56%
31-40 4 2.56%
40+ 5 3.21%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Best MSNL Coaches

MDMA, while I think g_dollaz BS, 'it took me months to recover' or whatever was [censored], you're coming across kind of desperate in this thread -

I've never gotten coaching from MDMA but I can't think of many people who A: have as deep an understanding of the game and B: an ability to explain that understanding. A lot of people have A and not B. Everyone knows he's the guy to go to for coaching and I'm sure his waiting list is long.

Don't sweat the criticism - your posts in HSNL now buried in the archives and the testimony of several high stakes winners speak for themselves.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:53 PM

I hate to interrupt a soap opera in progress, but I just wanted to let people know I'm now offering my services as a coach.

From my blog:

" "If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today." -Lou Holtz, multiple NCAA Coach of the Year honors

After an overwelming amount of requests, I've decided to start coaching poker. I will coach in the standard fashions of either sweating the student, or letting the student sweat me. Currently I'm using TeamViewer3 (something the student will need to download, but its quick and free) and Skype to communicate and view each other's desktops. I'm going to aim for 10 hours a week but if I have the time and the demand is greater, I'll stretch that. I'm looking forward to the idea because I feel that constantly analyzing hands will only help my game as well. My starting rate is $300/hr, but if supply and demand dictate it, price is subject to change.

If interested, feel free to contact me at sean_lefort@hotmail.com. Give me your brief poker background along with what you want to work on, and some good time slots and we'll get started as soon as possible."

http://lefort.livejournal.com
Old 11-19-2007, 05:07 PM

MDMA is like a mini-Samoleus [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2007, 05:26 PM

Something not mentioned in this thread:

If you're a professional poker player, are you allowed to write off coaching expenses?

For instance, I get durrr to coach me at 5k/hr. Am I allowed to write off flying to Texas, and part of the 5k/hr fees?

Sorry if this has been discussed already in another thread.

No, it is not a level, just a hypothetical.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:30 PM

IWEARGOGGLES: I asked this exact question in the Legislation forum. The answer I got was an overwhelming "Yes", but only if you actually can and do file as a professional.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:54 PM

My CPA told me that I would need to give my coaches a 1099 tax form if I wanted to write my coaching expenses off*. Otherwise I cannot.

*Downside of this is that the coach would have to pay taxes on the coaching fees.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My CPA told me that I would need to give my coaches a 1099 tax form if I wanted to write my coaching expenses off*. Otherwise I cannot.

*Downside of this is that the coach would have to pay taxes on the coaching fees.

[/ QUOTE ]

how could a coach possibly get away with NOT paying taxes on the money he makes from coaching
Old 11-19-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

coaches have to pay taxes on money earned from coaching, and yes, you can write off any expense related to poker coaching if you are filing as a pro, just like you can write off your cardrunners membership.

also, i'm 95% sure that you're in no way responsible for giving your coach a 1099 form. they handle their own reporting of their coaching and you just note to your accountant your coaching fees as part of your expenses.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:15 PM

But you have to document your coaching expenses. So you need a receipt at least.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im looking for a luckbox coach, anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showpr...part=1&amp;vc=1