Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2006, 04:41 PM

Default 33 days until the National Championship is decided!

I can't wait. Go Bucks!!!

As I understand it, the winner will then be required to defeat some inferior team on Jan. 8th, but this will be a mere formality.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:48 PM

Default Re: 33 days until the National Championship is decided!

how possible is it if the loser of this game still makes the title game as a rematch?
Old 10-16-2006, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how possible is it if the loser of this game still makes the title game as a rematch?

[/ QUOTE ]

if that's their only loss, very possible, depending most of all on whether USC and WV run the table.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak to the math of the computers and whatnot, but given the nature of the polls, it'd take quite a close loss for it to happen. You'd need the loser to fall to #3 at worst, then have any of the 1-loss teams with strong SOS's to lose again. I'd peg it at less than 10%, and I think the odds that these are in fact the two best teams in the country to be quite a bit greater than that, but such is life.

What I wonder about is if ND runs the table (not at all unlikely, even though I'm not convinced they are a top 10 team) and Michigan loses, does the absurdity of "when you lose matters" knock Michigan below ND in the polls and thus out of the championship? You can play with similar scenarios, with, say, the SEC teams as well. That's the one aspect of this system I dislike.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:33 PM

I used to hate the idea of a playoff, but 2004 and now the 2006 soon to be debacle makes me want it so badly. 4 teams or 6 teams, though.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:17 PM

The scenario where you end up with only 1 undefeated team is one of the worst for the BCS system. Rematches suck, unless the first matchup was really really close or something.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to hate the idea of a playoff, but 2004 and now the 2006 soon to be debacle makes me want it so badly. 4 teams or 6 teams, though.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure this has been gone over before, but what are the arguments against a 4-team playoff? They get an extra game out of it for money, probably a little more legitimacy, and is adding an extra game to the end of the season for 2 teams really that bad?
Old 10-16-2006, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure this has been gone over before, but what are the arguments against a 4-team playoff? They get an extra game out of it for money, probably a little more legitimacy, and is adding an extra game to the end of the season for 2 teams really that bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the 4 team the best, but I can see problems. You would eventually have a scenario where you have 2 undefeated teams and 3 1 loss teams from power conferences. Let's use this season as an example, as it seems somewhat likely.

Ohio State beats Michigan
Louisville wins out (12-0)
Florida wins out (including SEC title)
USC loses only 1 game
Texas wins out
Tennessee wins out

You have:
Ohio State 12-0
Louisville 12-0
Texas 12-1
Florida 12-1
USC 11-1
Tennessee 11-1

I guess you take Texas and Florida for winning the conf. titles, but say you finish like this:

Ohio State 12-0
Louisville 12-0
USC 11-1
texas 12-1
Tennessee 11-1 (a 2 loss Auburn team beats a 1 loss UF team, making them both 2 loss teams)
Michigan 11-1

Eh, head hurts.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The scenario where you end up with only 1 undefeated team is one of the worst for the BCS system. Rematches suck, unless the first matchup was a tie

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, they play a ridiculous penalty shootout now days that makes ties impossible.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The argument against it is that teams will schedule weaker opposition. One of the bright spots of the BCS is that it rewards teams that play tough non-conference schedules. Go back 10-15 years and there were significantly less high profile non-conference games.