Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 11-24-2007, 03:55 AM

Default Why do I suck at multiplayer arghh

I'm a pretty decent at the single player modes in FPS games, probably about average or a little better. I've beaten several FPS games for 360 on typically the normal difficulty setting, never less but occasionally harder. For some reason, in every game I get my ass handed to me in multiplayer. Halo 3, Gears of War, Call of Duty 4, etc. I just get smoked. I get killed twice as much as I kill others, if not more.

Most recently I've been playing COD4. Loved the single player mode, tons of fun, although I beat it on normal in probably 6-7 hours and didn't really find any part very difficult. I'm going to eventually replay it on the harder difficulties, but meanwhile I've been playing multiplayer and getting owned. It feels like I get killed every ten seconds, almost always being blind sided by somebody. I've been playing mostly team deathmatch, and I like that the games seem pretty fair for the most part as far as matchmaking goes. Despite me sucking, my team has managed to win a fair amount more than I've lost. Still, it frustrates me so much to be killed so often and takes the fun out of the game. I'll have good rounds where I end up killing quite a few people, and it's a lot of fun when that happens but it's pretty rare. Usually I'm the one with the least points at the end of the match and way too many deaths.

Part of the problem lays in that usually I have no idea what's going on. When I play it careful I end up getting flanked by somebody who doesn't show up on my radar, or if that doesn't happen I just end up not being able to find anybody to kill and eventually somebody finds me and kills me. When this happens I try to be more aggressive and hunt people down, which almost always results in getting mowed down by somebody I can't see. Even when I do manage to find an opponent across from me I usually am on the short end of the stick, although I can hold my own I guess. It's mostly the people who manage to pick me off from a million different locations that usually kills me.

I really just suck at multiplayer in pretty much all FPS games, I don't really know why, but it's pissing me off. If somebody can teach me how to hold my own in multiplayer first person shooter games I'll teach you how to be good at poker. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2007, 04:25 AM

Default Re: Why do I suck at multiplayer arghh

fast paced aggressiveness, constant radar monitoring, map awareness, gun choice/range management. ship the poker coaching.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:13 AM

I went from a pretty mediocre to an decentish (level ~35) Halo 3 player. Biggest thing outside of the fundamentals (aim/predicting where a target is going to move to while aiming at them), was the maps. Learn them, memorize them. Watch videos of good players and follow the same paths they follow on the maps, and see why they follow them.

It sounds so simple but the biggest thing you really have to focus on is making sure your enemies are always in front of you, and your allies / 'safe' territory are behind you. Serious, once you get that down - you will be miles ahead of an average player. You'll be the one ambushing people left and right and rarely finding yourself suprised or confused about where you're being attacked from.

A good example might be the level Isolation on Halo 3. You'll always see bad players randomly scurrying about the top just trying to find somebody to shoot. The good players will always be up on the conrete slab looking down at everybody with their back protected, or coming up/around the sides unless they already have an isolated target and are going straight for him.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:51 AM

Map awareness is pretty hawt.. I recall from my CS playing days that, you could always tell when someone was unfamiliar with a map. They'd walk right past you hiding in a little nook, just waiting to mow them down, listening to their foot steps. Mmm.. fun times.

Just remember, some of the people who are killing you may do nothing except play that particular game all day. Food for thought. Or just something positive to think after you've done something horrendously thick and you need to feel a bit better about yourself as a human being.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:24 AM

I agree that learning the map is key. However, beating the game on a higher difficulty will also make you a better player in my opinion. I think you'll be a lot more quicker with the trigger. Accuracy and getting the first shot typically results in the win (kill).
Old 11-24-2007, 08:06 AM

OP,

You probably just don't play enough, which is a good thing.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:25 PM

It sounds like you need practice first and foremost. Personally, what I find sets the great players apart from the good ones is how they see the game. It's a lot like poker. Think about what you're doing and why you're doing. See if there's a better option available. Look at what other people (particularly the better ones) are doing. Take note of the strategies that frustrated you the most and try to adapt them into your own game.

I'm one of the uppper echelon halo 3 players, but every now and then, I'll face some guy who will mop the floor with me. Yes, his accuracy is better, and that accounts for a bit, but at the end of it, I look back and am amazed at how thoroughly I was leveled over and over again.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:44 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. CoD4 is my first FPS, so I still suck at it pretty bad. However, every time I play, I notice different things and seem to be getting better. Learning the maps has helped, so does finding a gun you like and being comfortable with it. I also try to watch the killcam, which shows me a little about where they were and how they killed me.

One time I pushed some button at the beginning of the match and started observing them (seeing what they were doing through their eyes). I have no idea how to get back to that option, but it seems like it would be good to do that to the player that seems to come in first the most.

Send me your name if you want and I'll play with you, I'm sure you'll feel better about your skills [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2007, 02:00 PM

Keep playing. Most FPS online players probably have some other kind of experience playing these scenarios and most are probably more hardcore than you. Experience will make you better. You'll take note of the maps and the good players' strategies etc.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:25 PM

You either have it or you dont [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I havent played many FPS's online in awhile and It was pretty easy to beat people up in COD4 for me. I wonder if you're someone Ive beaten up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. But anyways, just keep at it. You should get better eventually.

And I dont think playing the campaign will actually make you better. The games AI versus human competition is way different. You just need more experience versus real people.

Oh and please dont be one of those people who always camp in corners even after they kill someone. I see sooooo many players in COD4 do that, and they are always the losers.