Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-17-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Stud hi - thoughts on playing 3 2 a straight.

OK, this was my first time playing $3/$6 HORSE haven't played much 2/4, but as I changed my level of playing from 440BB to 300BB, I can now play at this level on stars.

When going up a level, I try and play the stud games first and see how it goes before hitting any long session. Anyway, Here, I don't have any reads.

I'm more interested on my thought process and if I'm thinking wrongly.

HORSE - 7 Card Stud High ($3/$6), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.67 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 8: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

I normally don't play 3 to a straight, but here thought with only one over card and two flush cards, I would call. I thought about coming in for a raise, but decided against. I thought the Q may raise being the highest remaining card, so called to see where 4th would take me.

4th Street - (4.00 SB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

Hitting the 10 gave me a very good pair, with 3 to a flush and straight. Seat 5 raise I took as a standard raise to get the pot heads up against maybe just a Q high. Not sure if calling was right here. A raise may have knocked out the Q or given him the chance to re-raise.

5th Street - (5.00 BB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls

I tookl the Q checking (and just calling on the previous street as not being a pair). I raised just to knock him out. I figured that seat 5 either hit his pocket pair for trips or had 2 pairs ( at best 9 up).

6th Street - (9.00 BB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

River - (11.00 BB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___folds

Was this correct to bet on the end? A check/call may have induced a bluff and an extra bet.

Total pot: (11.00 BB)
Old 11-17-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Stud hi - thoughts on playing 3 2 a straight.

I like it. As long as you didn't put him on trips you played it nicely. Raising to get him out of the pot was what you want to do. I don't agree with 6th. You already got seat 4 out of the pot, a check here will generally give you a free card seeing as how seat 5 will not be making a bet due to your raise on 5th. Betting the river is fine because you made two pair.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:28 PM

I like river bet, he won't raise without at least king high flush because it looks like you have a good combo draw on 5th. Villian won't bet river very often.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:51 AM

i fold this on 3rd.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:51 PM

I like a raise on 3rd....or a fold
Old 11-18-2007, 01:53 PM

Third's a fold. Using Roy West's rule of thumb, if we count "near" cards (Queen and Eight) as one point, and "not-so-near" cards (King and Seven) as a half-point, you've got three points. You need 1.5 or fewer to make this a playable hand. A two-flush with two clubs gone is nowhere near enough to swing this to a call.

Your hand looks very pretty on fourth street, but a number of your straight and flush cards are gone. Between the bettor and the raiser, there's an excellent chance that you're in third place. I don't think the call is completely horrible, but I do think that folding is better.

I wouldn't necessarily interpret Q6's call on fourth as weakness. He's said that he has a pair of Queens, and the other guy has said that he has Queens beaten. This will cause a lot of people to shut down. They check, but they don't necessarily fold. Meanwhile, you've caught a terrible card. I think fifth is a fold as well.

No one folds sixth street, and I don't think you're winning. I'd check and hope. I think that the value-bet on the river is fine.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:58 PM

On third, you have a medium three-straight with four dead straight cards in sight and a two-flush with two more of your suit out. This has got to be a fold unless you're stealing (it's a non-standard steal position, but you could try), and if you're stealing you have to complete. Limp/call is the worst possible option.

I like the other streets okay, though you could possibly represent a four-flush/broadway draw with a raise on Fourth and gain some fold equity if you catch another [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or big card.

I would have thrown this away for free on Third.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On third, you have a medium three-straight with four dead straight cards in sight and a two-flush with two more of your suit out. This has got to be a fold unless you're stealing (it's a non-standard steal position, but you could try), and if you're stealing you have to complete. Limp/call is the worst possible option.

I like the other streets okay, though you could possibly represent a four-flush/broadway draw with a raise on Fourth and gain some fold equity if you catch another [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or big card.

I would have thrown this away for free on Third.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm raising to try to steal primarily, either now or by 5th. If i have no reason to think i can do that then i fold.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:22 PM

andy is right, 3rd is a fold, I wasn't paying attention to the dead sraight cards.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Third's a fold. Using Roy West's rule of thumb, if we count "near" cards (Queen and Eight) as one point, and "not-so-near" cards (King and Seven) as a half-point, you've got three points. You need 1.5 or fewer to make this a playable hand. A two-flush with two clubs gone is nowhere near enough to swing this to a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the comments. I didn't just play for the stragh but had over-cards if the queen folded.

I think after the comments i should have folded on 3rd as this wins more time in the long run.

I think I heard Roy Wests name being mentioned in a previous thread. I assume he has also written a decent 7CS book