Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-04-2007, 01:42 PM

Default First 1000 hands... what are my leaks?

What are my leaks? It seems like they are:
1. I am losing a LOT of money from the SB and BB, this is because I am completing way too many hands on the SB when I should be folding/raising more right? I'm not sure why I am losing so much in the BB.
2. I am losing a lot of money on 1 pair hands, but what usually happens is I will keep value betting all the way and the fish will keep calling with flush draws/gutters, etc. Does this mean bet more?
3. I know my VPIP is kind of high but at NL $10 I think its OK considering I am outplaying a lot of these people after the flop.

Any other thoughts/suggestions appreciated

Old 11-04-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Re: First 1000 hands... what are my leaks?

re raise more out of the blinds and donf let people rob ur blinds ldo
Old 11-04-2007, 02:43 PM

That your "Diff w/o blinds" is negative means you would be better off folding your blinds without looking at your cards. That would be a terrible way to play, wasting the premium hands you get in the blinds, and doing worse is a sign that you are either playing badly in the blinds, or you have been quite unlucky there.

I recommend folding the SB much more frequently. You are completing the small blind with hands like J5s (and worse). What are you hoping to hit? It is hard to get value when you only flop one pair, being out of position greatly decreases the value of any draws, and it is too rare (~5%) for you to flop two pair or better or a made flush.

Your aggression factors seem very high postflop, particularly since you are limping in with weak hands. You might have heard people say, "Raise or fold." However, in cash games, this is a poor way to play. Many times you won't fold out many stronger hands, but you have enough equity to call. Normal for winning 6-max players is something like 4-2-2 instead of your 4-4-6, and playing weaker hands may mean you have to call more than normal.

Don't worry about what PokerTracker says about your wins or losses with one pair. If you fold preflop, and the board is paired, that counts as losing with one pair. You would like to know whether you are losing money when you hit the board once. If the board is paired, that counts as two pair.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:15 PM

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I was hoping to jump in and ask pzhon a question or anybody else that is more familiar with FR stats.

[ QUOTE ]
Normal for winning 6-max players is something like 4-2-2...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm currently running (flop/turn/river) 4.2/2.5/2.0, but I play Full ring. My first thoughts are that my numbers might be a bit high for full ring, but I'm not sure how much aggression differs post flop between 6max and FR.

So in short, what should the AF *typically* look like for Full ring say 50NL/100NL? Or does it differ any from 6max at all?

Thanks for your time,
Fielding
Old 11-04-2007, 04:16 PM

^^ exactly
Old 11-04-2007, 07:26 PM

Play more hands, 1K hands tells us very very little. Play 10K hands and post again.

Fold more UTG, fold more from the SB, cold call less on the BTN.

Trying to analyze flop/turn/river AFs over this size sample is pretty meaningless. They'll prob drop a little once you play more hands.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm currently running (flop/turn/river) 4.2/2.5/2.0, but I play Full ring. My first thoughts are that my numbers might be a bit high for full ring, but I'm not sure how much aggression differs post flop between 6max and FR.

[/ QUOTE ]
According to the Voluntary Statistics Survey of winning SSNL players (primarily NL $25-NL $200), postflop aggression is typically slightly lower in full ring than in 6-max, but 4-2-2 doesn't seem surprising or dangerous. Changes in your playing style in marginal situations can have a small effect on your win rate while having a large difference on your aggression factors.

Be careful that the survey was taken more than a year ago, and may not reflect current game conditions.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Play more hands, 1K hands tells us very very little. Play 10K hands and post again.

[/ QUOTE ]
The amounts won don't mean much after 1000 hands, but the percentage of hands played converges quite rapidly. With 200 samples, the standard deviation of these values is about 3.0-3.5%, so the unusual 60% VP$IP from the small blind is quite meaningful.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:32 AM

should we raising from both the SB and the BB or just the SB since we will be out of position?