Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 11-30-2007, 10:11 PM

Default Terabyte External Enclosure

Has anybody put a new terabyte drive in an external enclosure? (I'm not talking about the old 1 TB externals that were actually two 500 GB drives).

I'm having a heck of a time finding information on them. It's also really hard to find enclosures that are specifically rated ok for 1 TB drives. I think any external enclosure that supports SATA/300 will work with a tera drive. The only other question then is if the heat dissipation is good enough.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Terabyte External Enclosure

Unless you're looking at something else, the 1TB internals that I'm seeing are 3.5" form factor, nothing special. Find a 3.5" enclosure with SATA 3.0, you should be fine. If you're worried about heat, find one with a fan or check reviews about what owners have experienced.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:08 AM

Hmm.. yeah. A lot of them say "support up to 750 GB" but I think that's just because when the spec material was written that's all there was. I don't know of any reason why they would support 750 but not 1 Tb.

for example :

http://www.satagear.com/SATA-PRO-35A..._Firewire.html

NEW Ultra Fast Oxford 924 Chip with Firewire 800 / USB 2.0 ports and eSATA port Works with drives up to 750GB SATA I and SATA II Spec. 3.5" SATA HDD to eSATA/USB2.0/FireWire800 Enclosure
Old 12-01-2007, 01:47 AM

I see I see, I just surfed newegg.com for a minute and looked at some enclosures without seeing any limits as to HD size. Now that I looked some more, I see a few with limits. Doesn't really make sense to me why 750 and not 1TB either.