Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 07:58 PM

Default Notebook has died a horrible death, advice on a new one?

Hi CTH forum

Basically I have been told that my notebook is going to cost so much to repair that I might as well by a new notebook all together.

At the moment Im a student and my only concerns for what the computer can do are work type stuff, and easily running all poker programs etc. Im not interested in playing games or having a super duper video card or monitor etc.

Also being a student, and the fact that my notebook crisis decided to occur at the start of term when I not only need it the most but Im also shelving out loads of money to secure a new place, Im looking for value for money.

Thanks for any help

AC
Old 10-06-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Notebook has died a horrible death, advice on a new one?

Your school should have deals with some computers? Back when I went they had IBM's at a great deal, and same with Macs.

In terms of major companies I usually suggest Dell lappys to my friends. Usually the biggest reason is the Accidental Coverage so if their kid throws it, or they drop a beer on it they can get it replaced. Also if you wait a month or a bit more big coupons of $500+ off will start surfacing for the holidays.

If you are looking for a no name comp, Sager puts out some nice inexpensive lappies, but you are dealing with a small operation if you ever have issues. I bought a gaming comp from them and I loved it.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Notebook has died a horrible death, advice on a new one?

Best Buy has some great deals on Laptops in their Sunday ads with instant rebates. Mock them all you want, but I got a great deal on a Toshiba laptop and it's perfect for my needs.