Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Do You Support the Civil Rights Act?

PVN was making a claim that was considerably different from the OP, hence in that case it is quite relevant regardless of the current claim.

However, I would argue that the economic concept of equilibrium has little to say about the actual world, as there is no theory of how long it will take to be realized (evolutionary economics suggests that it generally would take longer than any of our lifetimes), and no mechanism in the real world to ensure that market forces are saved from 'external shocks' from civil society, government, collective action, war, changes in preferences and technology etc. in order to keep it there or allow it to do so.

Essentially markets are always in disequilibrium, and an argument that the market works well or will do something at equilibrium is therefore vacuous in political theory.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:47 AM

Don't places have signs that say they can refuse to serve anyone? Its kind of strange that they can refuse to serve you for any random reason other then your race, religon etc.

Personally I think people should have the right to be racist in a private business though this would probably not make my top 100 of laws I would want to change.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't places have signs that say they can refuse to serve anyone? Its kind of strange that they can refuse to serve you for any random reason other then your race, religon etc.

Personally I think people should have the right to be racist in a private business though this would probably not make my top 100 of laws I would want to change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody want to chip in to start the "No Statists Bar and Grill"?
Old 10-09-2007, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody want to chip in to start the "No Statists Bar and Grill"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good way to lose a lot of money. Ironically, anarcho-capitalism doesn't do so well in the free market. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2007, 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot "Scenario #3", where both restuarants in your example are "Whites only".
Old 10-09-2007, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot "Scenario #3", where both restuarants in your example are "Whites only".

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you suggesting that African Americans couldn't eat in the south before the Civil Rights Act?
Old 10-09-2007, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you suggesting that African Americans couldn't eat in the south before the Civil Rights Act?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm suggesting a scenario where the two restuarants in your example are both "whites only".
Old 10-09-2007, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm suggesting a scenario where the two restuarants in your example are both "whites only".

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, OP forgot the scenario where 2 restaurants are "white only" and 1 is "Martian only." COME ON!
Old 10-09-2007, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A person's ability to pursue there chosen life plans and access to necessary resources should not depend on the arbitrary preferences of others,

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, they absolutely should, if the "resource" in question happens to be the labor of the "others" who have their own arbitrary opinions about who they want to work for.

[ QUOTE ]
To allow freedom to depend on that is collectivist i.e. anti-individualist (certain individuals have difficulty pursuing there life goals because of what the collectivity thinks of them) and inegalitarian.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't have free access to my labor -- that should be a given. If you're defining "freedom" to be universal access to some individual's labor (labor that is not based on voluntary agreement, but based on law), you've just legitimatized slavery.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Conveniently you ignore the part about jobs

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes. I want to be the quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys. It's my life plan. Jerry Jones' arbitrary preference that I not do this is unjust and incorrect imo.

Obviously, I need some government intervention to prevent Jerry Jones from discriminating against me and wrecking my life plans, because I'm entitled to everything I want.