Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Almost in a bar fight and called a Racist!

Blarg,

For the record, a lot of places now use 911 like it's a secretarial service for the police & fire departments. Awhile back I needed to call the police department about something nonemergency-related and after vain attempts to find another number was told by a policeman to call 911. I called and asked them and was told that 911 was the only incoming number they used anymore for some reason. I thought it was pretty screwy too. I've sonce experienced something similar in one other city so apparently it's not unusual.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:32 PM

Sounds like they probably realized human stupidity and selfishness was unconquerable and stopped trying to fight it.

Unfortunately, in situations like these, the choice comes up of whether you want to spend enough money to ensure a very expensive program runs right, or do you just want to live with poor service and spend less money. I can guess what the decision was ...
Old 07-18-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just for the record:

I am amazed that so much discussion has arisen about calling 911 in this deal.

I think the main idea would have been about racism and in particular how racism abounds in both the minorities and the majority. No one is immune from it and it is pretty darn sad that it is so rampant in this day and age. It is an ugly, ugly thing no matter which way it is being directed.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not going to be cured over some incident with a drunk in a bar. People get drunk and belligerant over alot more things than just racism. You're not making world policy.

If a guy is disruptive in a bar, kick him out. Why even get into a big debate over it with a drunk? Why waste the time other than to satisfy your own self indulgence that you got to tell some low life how it is and should be? Why should the other patrons have to listen to it? Think they really give a rip? They just want the guy to shut up and/or leave.

Yes, you ask him to leave. If he doesn't, you do what you have to to get him out of there(as an employee, not a patron). Even if 911 needs to be called.

Poster made a good point about this escalating over napkins(wish I'd have noticed that). But I love how those that contribute to these situations act as if it happened all on its own and they had absolutely nothing to do with it.

b
Old 07-18-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Update on bartender beaten by cop

This is when patrons should jump in.

link

Look at the raw video for full tape.

Love the 2 brave guys standing by watching.

b
Old 07-18-2007, 05:04 PM

You missed the fact that the guy had napkins within reach. ... If it wasn't over napkins, he'd have found something else.

By the way Blarg, I liked what you said several posts back about forgiveness - in 2 posts, but specifically this:

[ QUOTE ]
It's like with your wife; even if she doesn't 100% believe his apology, she should accept it anyway. The dude, even if he doesn't 100% feel at fault, should apologize anyway. Making and accepting the apology is good for both people, because it gives them a chance to get over things instead of letting them sit and fester and have their resentments just harden and become permanent. Probably, if an apology is accepted, with a little time -- if he doesn't already! -- the guy will feel his apology 100%, and your wife will forgive him enough to not regret accepting his apology.

Being mad at each other can feel satisfying and a bit righteous, but carrying permanent grudges, especially when the other person is trying to make amends, is pointless...

[/ QUOTE ]

* I cut out the assertion that it's "perverse." Not sure if I would go that far. :-)
Old 07-18-2007, 05:13 PM

Thanks, and yeah, I agree on the perversity. Perversity would require already being at a bit of a distance from the pure angry stage, enough so that you were aware that staying mad had elements of choice about it. I think I implied that time would eventually come, and it almost surely will, but it may be too judgmental to scold anyone's stubbornness this early, when being mad could still seem more fresh than played out.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did his apology include anything about "smokem peace pipe"?

[/ QUOTE ]

NO it did not!
Frankly that comment is pretty crappy, deserves a kick in the nuts and a banning from "The Lounge"

And some people do not believe racism still exists today, geeze! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ man, it was a joke. Lighten up.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:50 PM

He just didn't get that it was a joke at the time. Sometimes without seeing someone grinning or winking at you, you can't tell that something in print is intended to be funny.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did his apology include anything about "smokem peace pipe"?

[/ QUOTE ]

NO it did not!
Frankly that comment is pretty crappy, deserves a kick in the nuts and a banning from "The Lounge"

And some people do not believe racism still exists today, geeze! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ man, it was a joke. Lighten up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, overreacted, I really am a pretty funny guy who does need to lighten up sometimes. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I actually realized that it was meant as a joke. My response was really more along the line that even when we do not mean to we sometimes do and/or say things that can be hurtful to the people we are talking about, in this case Native Americans.

On the other hand, I can see myself making the same darn joke with a bunch of friends, most of whom would be Native American.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You missed the fact that the guy had napkins within reach. ... If it wasn't over napkins, he'd have found something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

That still doesn't change their roll in escalating this. Sorry, but this all could've been handled better.

b