Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 11:38 PM

Default $ 1/2 5cd Did I miss out on a BB here?

In the beginning of a session and no read on the guy so far.
Did i "underplay" my hand after the draw? Would the 3-bet have been the better play?

PokerStars Game #10236105646: 5 Card Draw Limit ($1/$2) - 2007/06/02 - 16:54:23 (ET)
Table 'Columbia II' 6-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: z_en4 ($52.50 in chips)
Seat 2: Maria_1988 ($29 in chips)
Seat 3: TraderSteve ($37.50 in chips)
Seat 4: jimbo1986 ($42 in chips)
Seat 5: Hero ($50 in chips)
Seat 6: kleath ($52 in chips)
Hero: posts small blind $0.50
kleath: posts big blind $1
*** DEALING HANDS ***
Dealt to Hero [3s 5s Ac Ad As]
z_en4: folds
Maria_1988: calls $1
TraderSteve: raises $1 to $2
jimbo1986: folds
Hero: raises $1 to $3
kleath: folds
Maria_1988: calls $2
TraderSteve: calls $1
Hero: discards 1 card [3s]
Dealt to Hero [5s Ac Ad As] [4s]
Maria_1988: discards 4 cards
TraderSteve: discards 1 card
Hero: bets $2
Maria_1988: folds
TraderSteve: raises $2 to $4
Hero: calls $2
*** SHOW DOWN ***
TraderSteve: shows [Js 8s Kc Jc Jd] (three of a kind, Jacks)
Hero: shows [4s 5s Ac Ad As] (three of a kind, Aces)
Hero collected $17.25 from pot
Old 06-03-2007, 01:19 AM

Default Re: $ 1/2 5cd Did I miss out on a BB here?

Readless I would play it the same. An unknown isn't raising a hand that you're ahead of often enough to 3bet.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:22 PM

You played this hand well. OTOH, if you "spewed" by putting
in three bets postdraw, you most likely would have won an
extra bet (not many players muck trips for an extra bet).

You really can't three-bet postdraw from this spot unless
you have a full house or better.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:13 AM

Here's something you might want to think about when deciding if you're going to three-bet here:

1) What hand range do you put him on after his predraw-play?

After the discard, it seems likely that your opponent started with trips, two pair or a draw.

2) Why does he raise after the draw?

If he had a draw, he's either bluffing or he got there. You're probably not gaining anything by three-betting (the exception is if he cap-bluffs and you call, but that play is probably very unlikely).

If he had two pair predraw, he would probably not raise unless he makes a full house. I don't think he's raising without a good reason, because he would probably cap predraw if he's a "liberal raiser". Maybe he might raise with aces-up or something if he thinks you didn't falsecard to trips, but I don't think many opponents play like that at 1/2 (it might be common at play money and that kind of stakes).

Your opponent was obviously not comfortable enough to cap predraw. Maybe he thought that you might be three-betting with a pat hand. If he had small trips, I still think that he's not likely to raise postdraw. He probably suspects that you might falsecard. It seems like he's giving you credit for a strong hand (based on pre-draw play), so I don't think he expects you to have two pair (especially not two small pairs when you bet after the draw). So I don't expect him to reraise with small trips, but he'll most likely reraise if those small trips turn into a FH.

He might reraise with big and maybe medium-sized trips since he realized that you didn't have a pat hand. This is the only likely scenario where it's probably profitable to three-bet. Maybe these kinds of hands are more probable than made hands, but there are some other factors to consider. Maybe your opponent folds to a three-bet (a good opponent might be able to fold some trip hands there).

3)What will you do if the pot gets capped?

I'm guessing that you're going to make a crying call. Unless you know that your opponent is likely a maniac or constantly overplaying, you can probably not call that last bet comfortably. If there's a decent chance that your opponent is overplaying too much you can't really fold comfortably either. Getting yourself in a situation where you have to make a crying call (or a debatable fold) is not something you should do unless the reward for risking to get into that situation is significant enough.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:47 AM

I think THEjDonk is overthinking it. You played fine. Without a read you have to be afraid that someone filled up. If you three bet I would make the crying call because the pot is so big he has to have trips or be crazy 1 time out of 10 or so. He also raised indicating trips. Trip aces is about the only hand I think a 3 bet is okay with but in that case there's a small chance he has high trips, and a big chance he's filled up.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:54 AM

Yeah. You're right. What I meant to say was that you might be ahead more often than not, but I think it's close. The other point was that it might still not be correct to raise, because you'll probably get reraised if your opponent has a full house and not very often if he has something worse than you.

You don't have much time to think when the situation arises, so you can't make a thorough analysis of course.