Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Limit\\NoLimit mix

In my home game we get on kicks from playing Limit Cash games for a few months, then NL cash for a while, tourneys for a while etc...

For whatever reason we have started playing a game with $1\$2 blinds with a limit structure preflop and NL post flop. I say "we" but I have not been in the game the last few times so I havent played it yet.

Anyway, I'm trying to think about some strategy. We have a mix of loose passives, and loose agressives. Just about everyone is very loose PF with a couple of "thinking" players post flop.

What is the optimal strategy for this game?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Limit\\NoLimit mix

[ QUOTE ]
In my home game we get on kicks from playing Limit Cash games for a few months, then NL cash for a while, tourneys for a while etc...

For whatever reason we have started playing a game with $1\$2 blinds with a limit structure preflop and NL post flop. I say "we" but I have not been in the game the last few times so I havent played it yet.

Anyway, I'm trying to think about some strategy. We have a mix of loose passives, and loose agressives. Just about everyone is very loose PF with a couple of "thinking" players post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is insane... the change in strategy is easy.

Assuming everyone has ~100BB:
Play A LOT more hands preflop. Hands like 87o are now playable UTG if you can potentially stack someone postflop, even for 4bets (assuming it is capped at 4bets). If you put in $2x4 = $8, you will still have $192 behind.

If everyone is calling preflop regardless of the betting, you may want to slow play super strong hands preflop so as not to tip your hand. In fact, AA may only have set value if you are OOP in 6-way action. This reminds me of pot-limit omaha where you must be very careful in raising or reraising AAXX hands preflop.

Occasionally 3 bet hands like T9s so as to throw your opponents off. Deception preflop is going to be key!

If everyone is shortstacked, you will have to tighten up a bit preflop.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More or less, see every flop! Not true really, but I'd be looking around 30% of my hands.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Occasionally 3 bet hands like T9s so as to throw your opponents off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's another good one I didn't mention. You can't get hurt at all and you can raise stuff others wouldn't think of. This isn't a problem because in NL terms, it's essentially like being able to raise for representing a hand, and at the same time seeing the flop essentially by limping.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

More or less, see every flop! Not true really, but I'd be looking around 30% of my hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on a lot of factors, I may see 50%+
Old 11-14-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on a lot of factors, I may see 50%+

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I also think that Ax hands (off suit) drop considerably in value if I dont flop 2 pair or better. Connected, one or two gapped hands go up in value.

Everyone with Ax, Kx, and prolly Qx and Jx are seeing a flop so my 4,7 suited is getting crushed if Im on a flush draw. I'm thinking that straights will pay off better than a baby flush.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:54 PM

Play a lot of hands preflop. Assuming most understand this you will then need to push fairly strong, two pair, set hands pretty hard on the flop on boards with almost any draws present. A hand like top pair needs to tread carefully.

I think this is a game where players could possibly get stacked fairly easy if their not careful.