Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Playing Professional, Tunica.

I've been reading this forum for years and never posted. I was searching while I can't sleep and stumpled across this post, which is so unfathomably stupid I couldn't resist.

If you want honest advice, read all the recommended books and consistently win at NL25 online first. Also get in some live poker, even if it's it poker night at a bar, to learn how to read people.

When I graduated college, I worked an internship and saved up some money. I thought I'd try playing poker professionally as I saw myself as a math and side game genuis. I grinded out a few hundred a week for a couple months before going broke. Several years later I'm now reasonably successful. I'm still a math genuis, but now I know I have holes in my game. The point is that the more you know, the more you don't know. That being said, it sounds like you're a horrible poker player. If you're holding the nuts at a table with insta-callers, why are you raising 3x the blinds? Why not just push all-in and run it? Honestly, if you can't figure out that you have to play the opponents in front of you and not the weak-passive fish you wish to, you're probably a lost cause.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:47 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
And perhaps you should READ THE PART WHERE I JUST FREAKING SAID I KNOW I NEED IMPROVEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOD, I EVEN PUT IT IN CAPS FOR YOU RETARDS!

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone think he might have issues with Tilt?
Old 10-06-2007, 09:27 AM

Steam - I think that might be a possibility.
Normally I don't post the kin od flovely PM's I occasionally receive but what the hey:

Bring it
I'll play you anywhere any day anytime. You are worthless.

Eat me, scumbag.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:01 AM

Please go to Tunica and play for a living.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:45 PM

I think he has set a record for B&M. Within his first 7 posts he earned a 1 day suspension and then came back and was banned.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am a pretty solid tournament player and have done all right at those, but I have yet to find any consistent cash games.

Does anyone have any advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

OP, the typical tournament vs. the typical 1/2nl game are as opposite as night and day. In tournaments you are forced into action, while in a cash game you just wait to pounce on your prey. I would suggest you take the other posters advice and play at least 100k hands at 10nl or 25nl and use a tracking software to track your results. Find and plug every possible leak in your game and then proceed with the live cash games.

You will thank us in 6 months.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:36 PM

The OP is obv. not playing high enough where they respect raises. ldo
Old 10-07-2007, 12:47 PM

Start doing the push of honor.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:39 PM

Go buy the book Small Stakes Hold'em and read it, especially the theory it presents. It is written about limit hold'em but the basic theory of bad players, playing bad cards and never folding = profit for the good players, is applicable in no-limit also.

Until you understand that simple but most important principle you will never be a winning player. I've never read a book that explains it as well as SSHE.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, thanks for the feedback, but I think you guys are missing the point.

One of you said: "you want the rich fish to never fold"

Wrong. You must think you are going to hit your flop more than you are going to make it. Nope. You miss the flop with EVERY hand about two thirds of the time. So, if I am raising it up three times the big blind--which is 6 dollars and is a joke to these people in 1/2 nl--they reraise to 25 or 40--and I have to call with my AK or pocket tens--and then guess what, I miss the flop as you are going to do. The times I connect with the flop do not make up for the price I have to pay for the times I miss the flop in this type of game. And forget about out playing anyone--they see every river and every show down no matter what. I had a guy call me down all the way with bottom pair of fives--and no he didn't get a read on me--he was just too dumb to fold--there were straights out there, not to mention every card was an over card. I've had KK cracked several times by people holding 10 4 and making two pair because they won't fold for a 25 dollar re raise. I've had AA cracked pre-flop by 63 when he wouldn't fold to my all in bet of 125 dollars. And this type of stuff is the norm--it is not a rarity.

I guess that's the price I pay for being one of the smartest people in my state--which isn't saying much anyway. I play better against smart people than these morons. Oh well.

So anyway, thanks for the input, but I guess you guys just don't know Tunica style poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read this post about 60 times in my 2 years here, and it never gets old. This thread is gold.

Move to BBV for more hilarity?