Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Wii: Second sensor bar...

Just recently purchased a Wii and am wondering how many people have purchased the wireless sensor bar and if they are using it as a replacement, or additional.

If using as an additional, what have you found to be the best placement location?

Do you have the Wii set to 'Above TV' or 'Below TV'? Does this match the bar(s)?

I had the original bar above my TV (large rear-projector) and the Wii set accordingly, but with the second bar placed on my coffee table, I ended up double-back taping the original bar 'below' the screen.

Things seem to be ok, but depending on movement/location, I can definitely tell when it is picking up the weaker signal from the TV mounted bar while playing from the couch.

Any recommendations?

Thanks...

[ ] Searched the web for answers first
[x] Post first, research later (and compare)
Old 10-02-2007, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Wii: Second sensor bar...

I have a large HD projection (60" SXRD) and have the sensor bar above the TV for games except for Metroid Prime 3 and always have the Wii set on "above TV".

Edit: I only have the OEM sensor bar.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:46 PM

I have the stock sensor bar, and I have it below my 50" TV. It's an SXRD, actually [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I find it works better than on my parents TV, who also use stock, but have the bar above the TV. They have a large SDTV that's probably a little narrower than mine, but taller. I haven't experimented putting my bar above my TV.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:19 AM

Off-topic, but can both of you guys tell me how you like SXRDs? I assume they're 1080p - how would you say the picture compares to plasmas of the same size and resolution?
Old 10-03-2007, 02:34 PM

But is anybody using 2 sensor bars simultaneously as described?
Old 10-03-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not aware this was possible. Are 2 bars supposed to add any significant benefit to playability?
Old 10-03-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not aware this was possible. Are 2 bars supposed to add any significant benefit to playability?

[/ QUOTE ]

Beyond allowing to locate yourself further from the unit, I do not think so.

The biggest advantage I can see is that it is wireless, so you can place it on a coffee table without having to route that thin wire.

When I sit on the couch, the sensor at the TV is not strong enough for full signal and the cursor jitters.

My current setup has the wireless on the coffee table and the wired on the TV.

This works, but because they are in the same line-of-sight with each other, depending on the movement, when on the couch, the TV sensor may pickup cause the cursor to jump to it's sensed location.

What I would like (perfect world) is for the coffee table sensor to pickup all movement when I am on the couch and for the TV sensor to pickup all movement when I am standing and playing (generally in front of the coffee table).

The standing part seems to work perfect since at this point, you are in front of the coffee table sensor and pointed at the TV. However, the sitting scenery works as described above.

I think if my sitting location where offset from the line of sight of the wired sensor, I would be in good shape, but then you are not directly in front of the TV which is less enjoyable.

Ideally, I think a firmware upgrade should be issued to allow for multiple sensors and independent placement (above / below).
Old 10-03-2007, 03:19 PM

Just unplug the wired sensor bar when you sit on your couch (or cover the ends of the bar with a piece of cloth or something).

The sensor bar is nothing but a couple of infrared LEDs on either end of a piece of plastic - all of the "sensing" is done by the Wiimote (a little camera in the front). The wire for the wired one only provides power - so there's really no way a firmware upgrade could deal with this problem.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just unplug the wired sensor bar when you sit on your couch (or cover the ends of the bar with a piece of cloth or something).

The sensor bar is nothing but a couple of infrared LEDs on either end of a piece of plastic - all of the "sensing" is done by the Wiimote (a little camera in the front). The wire for the wired one only provides power - so there's really no way a firmware upgrade could deal with this problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I had assumed and figured that it'd be trivial to make your own wireless one. I was going to (want to use it with a projector) do that, but I've been too busy with work.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:13 AM

I think I read you could just set up two candles wherever you wanted and get the same effect. I haven't tried it though.