Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 08:10 PM

Default For atheists....how?

Recently I have become agnosticish, but I am deeply trying to hold on to what I do believe. The only reason for this is that the thought of not existing after death TERRIFIES me. It's probably my biggest fear. Just imagining not seeing, hearing, or THINKING gives me a panic attack. So my question for you all is how do you deal with this? I can't believe that the petty things I do and will do on earth is all that I can every do, is this the standard thought? Am I missing something? Are things like reincarnation considered reasonable in atheism? Set me straight guys, preach away. If this a dumb post have mercy on my soul [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].
Old 02-19-2007, 08:16 PM

Default Re: For atheists....how?

Im not an Athiest, but it wouldnt make sense to just die and cease to exist anymore, does it?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im not an Athiest, but it wouldnt make sense to just die and cease to exist anymore, does it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It wouldn't make sense? What does that mean? Like, if I was the guy designing reality? Or 'if we polled 100 Americans?'
Old 02-19-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Recently I have become agnosticish, but I am deeply trying to hold on to what I do believe. The only reason for this is that the thought of not existing after death TERRIFIES me. It's probably my biggest fear. Just imagining not seeing, hearing, or THINKING gives me a panic attack. So my question for you all is how do you deal with this? I can't believe that the petty things I do and will do on earth is all that I can every do, is this the standard thought? Am I missing something? Are things like reincarnation considered reasonable in atheism? Set me straight guys, preach away. If this a dumb post have mercy on my soul [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really know what to tell you. This is probably pretty common, although personally, I don't think I've ever felt this sort of thing. I don't fear non-existence after my death, since I already have lots and lots of experience with non-existence, from before I was born. It wasn't that bad at all, I could do another eternity standing on my head.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason for this is that the thought of not existing after death TERRIFIES me. It's probably my biggest fear. Just imagining not seeing, hearing, or THINKING gives me a panic attack. So my question for you all is how do you deal with this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes when contemplating my own death, I get a strange feeling of vertigo. The human brain is not well built to consider its own nonexistence.

But consider the fact that your consciousness has been nonexistent at other times - before you were born, and while you're in deep sleep - and that there has been nothing to be feared about these states.

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe that the petty things I do and will do on earth is all that I can every do, is this the standard thought?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why "petty"? Human life is all the more precious for being short. Things are not meaningless just because they don't last forever. Think about the impact that, say, the Founding Fathers have had on the lives of US citizens over the years. Is that petty? You might not be able to achieve something of that magnitude in your life, but reflecting on achievements like that might disabuse you of the idea that nothing is important.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:55 PM

Life has value, irrespective of how long it lasts. You can give your life meaning even if you think it is only short lived. Perhaps the universe "doesnt care" if you live or die and wont remember you after you've gone, but why should you make your decisions based on universal significance? You can live your life based on its significance to you.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:12 PM

Either there is some kind of continued existence with self-awarness where you may or may not lose your identity, which I take it you could live with OR there is absolute nothingness without any self-awarness so you cannot care how [censored] that might be, or feel afraid. As I see it, neither option feels too bad.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I would consider Buddhism atheistic, and reincarnation is a tenet of several branches, notably Tibetan. Personally, I think it's kind of silly. I do practise Zen, and I increasingly feel connected to the world in a permanent and timeless way, though this is less an objective belief than a feeling...kind of a way of making yourself happier.

The other good news is, I would bet a great deal of $ that you are young. Contemplation of death abates as you get older...you think about it less, and it seems less troubling.

If it's really bugging you, I recommend pot.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a different, but similar, problem. I had full-blown panic attacks about hell, and they are largely responsible for triggering the worst period of my life. I still have trouble struggling with hell, even though I don't believe in it any more.

What can you do? Well, there are lots of things. First, arahant mentioned Zen and he wasn't far off the mark. You might even get something out of some of the Dalai Lama's works. They can get a bit sentimental, and you may have some distaste for that, but regardless of whether they're true in a universal sense they have proved highly effective in the treatment of depression and anxiety. A number of Zen-based techniques are blowing people away in studies. And relaxation/meditation can be a more powerful tool than you may be able to believe right now.

Simpler techniques can also help. Personally, I haven't avoided thoughts about the subject and wouldn't recommend it. Thinking deeply has helped me a lot. But I fell into some traps early on, that you can avoid with some simple guidelines. The main thing is that if the thoughts are starting to provoke anxiety, find a distraction or think about something else. Don't think things like "this is actually going to happen, in a few decades at most I'm going to be pulled into this vortex..." Do think thoughts like "why am I so afraid, and what am I so afraid of?," "Is there any rational reason to be afraid of death?," and "Is 'nothingness' worth being afraid of? Isn't viewing it as going peacefully to sleep just as valid as viewing it as destruction of my being?" You can even try directly telling yourself things like "death is nothing to be afraid of," but I think more introspective techniques are much more effective among those with enough imagination to accomplish them (you sound like you're more than there).

Also, work on the environment you're in. Even if your fears aren't being caused by other emotional issues, they are definitely a significant influence. Make sure you have solid friends, are somewhat successful in life, spend plenty of time doing what you love, and spend a sufficient amount of time relaxing in a comfortable, stable environment. Be sure to find people to talk to about it - while that may sound pointless, you might be surprised how much regular support helps in the long term (and sometimes the short term as well).
Old 02-19-2007, 11:28 PM

-Read the last two posts again, and don't forget them.
-Think, think as deeply as you can about all the different possibilities and all the different possible ways of framing them in your mind. Eventually you'll find something palatable, and it'll get better the more you learn.
-Read this forum, read books about Zen, philosophy, psychology, evolution, anything.
-Ask questions.
-Acquire and watch The Fountain when it comes out on DVD.