Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 08:14 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (9/24) (Spoilers in Thread to come?)

[ QUOTE ]
LOL @ Phil Helmuth bragging about his history of gambling

LOL @ Mike Baxter destroying the game with the NL50 moves

LOL @ the hour long phill-helmuth-sam-farha run-it-twice discussion

LOL @ this rather actionless episode compared to the the beginning of the season. where is all the action, 2-7 game, phil hellmuth steams etc. rather boring episode in comparison

LOL @ Sammy farha/Eli tightening up the game so much that it becomes boring

LOL @ Phil Helmuth "trapping" with ATo

[/ QUOTE ]

You laugh a lot
Old 09-26-2007, 09:29 PM

Mike Baxter looked like he was playing well, well see in the next couple of episodes because Mike Matusow said he would lose some pots in the next one. Farha is playing the same way he always plays, 8 pros someone has to lose some money. I recall negreanu losing a lot in the one of the first two seasons when he bought in for a million.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:08 AM

Every pro played badly. These guys should be embarrased to be called poker players. When I watch HSP I usually cover up the hands so I can guess by their play. I am correct 90% of the time (because a few times I didn't get the suits). My .10/.25 game online destroys this. Every hand consists of bad raise, bad call, bad bet, bad fold, bad beat. BRING BACK PHIL IVERY
Old 09-27-2007, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I personally like the running it twice since it is something we don't see off screen. I want this High stakes show to be closest to the way they handle Bobby's Room,etc...a look inside high stakes poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, make it mixed games, show/highlight explain/track props etc.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:00 AM

one thing to keep in mind is that being able or unable to "do business" alters the action of the game.
if you notice farha is by far the guy who gets all his money in the pot on early streets the most and this is largely due to the fact that he loves to run the board.

if you remember the hand he played vs greenstein (AA vs KK) it took him forever to get his chips in the middle cuz he knows barry wont run the board...vs anyone else his chips are in the middle instantly.

i play a ton of live poker and the recently commerce stopped allowing ppl to do any business whatsoever and it def does change the game.

not saying its a totally diff game or anything, just that when ppl know they can run the board multiple times it makes them much more willing to get their chips in the middle and also makes ppl play their draws much faster as they figure [censored] it i'll just shove with my 7high naked flush draw and run it twice.

one big reason i dont do business is that i dont want someone calling a huge bet all in with a flush draw when i'm bluffing with 5hi cuz they think they can run it twice.

another reason running it can be detrimental to the game for both the players and the viewers is that it oftens split the pot and prevents someone from losing a big pot and potentially steaming.

just imagine if helmuth loses that AT vs JJ hand for a huge pot, it would have been great TV, and great for the game to have him stuck.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:13 AM

wtf? an educated, well-written response in this thread by someone who knows what they are talking about? Ban.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:18 AM

is anyone else fed up of seeing chopped pots from running it twice? I'm surprised the producers havne't stepped in for the 'general public' who want to see big pots won and lost.

Farha would split every pot if he could I guess. Not that AT vs JJ is a particuarly spectacular poker hand anyway...
Old 09-27-2007, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Every pro played badly. These guys should be embarrased to be called poker players. When I watch HSP I usually cover up the hands so I can guess by their play. I am correct 90% of the time (because a few times I didn't get the suits). My .10/.25 game online destroys this. Every hand consists of bad raise, bad call, bad bet, bad fold, bad beat. BRING BACK PHIL IVERY

[/ QUOTE ]

haha that guys is soo funny
Old 09-27-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Every pro played badly. These guys should be embarrased to be called poker players. When I watch HSP I usually cover up the hands so I can guess by their play. I am correct 90% of the time (because a few times I didn't get the suits). My .10/.25 game online destroys this. Every hand consists of bad raise, bad call, bad bet, bad fold, bad beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol If your really that good you should move up a couple levels and really go into poker full time. lol
Old 09-27-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My perspective as a viewer/fan is that "running it twice" and similar things have ruined the action...there are so few large, scooped pots because, whenever any real money goes into the pot, a tedious negotiation ensues and the result is usually the anticlimactic running it twice/chopped pot. Also, I think the players demonstrate a consistent overall pussy-ish-ness in most of these situations, and I feel people should be willing to gamble for the amount of money they decided to put in the pot and not look for every possible way to hedge their action after the money goes in

[/ QUOTE ]

if you consider these guys playing the game for your amusement then yes .. you're right.. .you're being cheated from your carnal pleasure of seeing one player felted by another. if you consider the fact that you are watching professionals, putting their bankroll at risk, then you should be able to understand the reasoning for such activities. hellmuth taking insurance should make sense. he got his money in with the best hand. now he takes insurance to minimize his losses if the huge suckout happens. if you're playing the game for a living rather than for the rush you should be able to see the sensible reasoning behind these moves.

of course if your playing .1/.2 on pokerstars there is really no need to insure your 27.75 all in bet is there?

HSP came to be to allow folks to see what a big game is like. it was not brought to television so that viewers can get a rush from watching players get busted. yet, in the four seasons so far we have seen many a player get felted haven't we. nothing to complain about in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

You couldnt be more wrong. Constantly taking -ev insurance is stupid plain and simple. Running it twice while its boring to watch makes sense. Throwing money away on insurance is a terrible move. Slowing up the game (especially in tournaments with a running clock) to negotiate insurance terms should not be allowed.