Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 08:35 AM

Default Re: How did life begin?

Phil153,

It is only my understanding of numbers and, in this particular instance, the sheer size of them and the reality of fat tails unsettling normal distribution.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Obviously, people who believe God started it are pitiful clowns

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, dont you love it when things are made obvious cause they are undeniable. Im a pitiful clown, it all makes sense now. TYVM
Old 02-21-2007, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, dont you love it when things are made obvious cause they are undeniable. Im a pitiful clown, it all makes sense now. TYVM

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil gave a great little answer to how life may have begun, from lava to simple cells. How was your invisible God created? Really there is no answer at all to that. You can’t just say, well, I don’t understand how the sun keeps shining so it must be God. The God idea simply doesn’t answer anything. It’s just an idea that is completely untestable and so is without merit in the OP’s discussion. Phil may have been a bit harsh, but he at least is trying to logically address the OP.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil gave a great little answer to how life may have begun, from lava to simple cells. How was your invisible God created? Really there is no answer at all to that. You can’t just say, well, I don’t understand how the sun keeps shining so it must be God. The God idea simply doesn’t answer anything. It’s just an idea that is completely untestable and so is without merit in the OP’s discussion. Phil may have been a bit harsh, but he at least is trying to logically address the OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

You treat this like science class, thats the problem
Old 02-21-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The tools they tried to teach you in science class have far-reaching application in every aspect of your life. Critical thinking, parsimony, evaluating hypotheses, these are all fundamentally important to a scholarly approach to the world around you.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:38 PM

can we just ignore SitNHit please? i feel like this forum has taken a large step back since he started posting.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will dismiss the importance of all of them accept the Biblical God and his son Jesus Christ. I will do that, and the basis is that there is no written consequence that I know of for not believing in the others. Not that personally it would matter to me if there were, just saying objectivley. So I can dismiss them cause it doesnt matter if they existed or not for us, but it does matter if the Bible is real.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course there is a consequence for not believing in the others if they are real.

You will suffer if you don't follow the God of Islam. I guess you better believe in that one too. By your logic, you kind of have to.

BTW- since you haven't studied all the other Gods, its kind of naive of you to assume there's no consequences for not obeying the other Gods. You're being inconsistant with your logic. (though that inconsistancy is pretty 'consistant' with Christians!)
Old 02-21-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Science" isn't a wierd esoteric methodology, it just means finding out about the world.

If you are asking questions you are starting a scientifc process, from there you can either take steps which are logically correct or logically incorrect.

If you take correct steps you will arrive at conclusions like the posters above, but you will criticize it as being to "sciencey".

You seem to imply some credibility or importantness to being able to take intellectual steps which philosophically do not make sense. If that is true then your initial questions are fairly pointless.

There is a great quote in Derren Browns new book from a kinesiology (an holistic 'healthcare') practitioner

"well, thats why we never do double-blind testing any more; it doesn't work"

If your criticism is that the method is too scientific, you may as well give up discussing it or even thinking about it.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can we just ignore SitNHit please? i feel like this forum has taken a large step back since he started posting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I give up.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you prefer the atheist circlejerking that happened before this?