Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 12:18 AM

Default Re: How did life begin?

I stated what I stated, is this all some sort of game to you, this is serious, lol..... Please notice my sacrasm sir. I like you man.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:24 AM

This is silly. People have a reason for believing in God (it offers insight into how the universe started, why we have consciousness, how life started, why the laws of physics are the way they are, and so on). The unicorn analogy, teapot analogy, spagehtti analogy or whatever is stupid. People who say MAN WHY DON'T U BELIEVE IN THE EASTER BUNNY...GET IT!?? THEY'RE EXACTLY THE SAME! I WROTE A BOOK ABOUT IT...GET IT?? ITS JUST LIKE THE BIBLE!! HA~! need to read up a little. God can be defined as many things and there are a lot of things that prove that he exists, although none of it is hard science. It can't be. If God were 100% proven, this life would be meaningless.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
God can be defined as many things and there are a lot of things that prove that he exists, although none of it is hard science. It can't be. If God were 100% proven, this life would be meaningless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said, if you believe in the War in Heaven, God had 2 sons, Lucifer and Jesus. Lucifer wanted to have a world where people knew the truth and had not free agency and were made to choose right and Jesus wanted a world where people had free agency and they could make decisions based on there free will. God chose Jesus' plan and lucifer rebelled and was cast out to hell.

What would the purpose of life be if he was 100% proven fact. You wouldnt have a choice. Do you see how its better to believe when your not forced? It means your making a sacrafice which proves you have strength and that you take this life seriously and wants badly to return to live with him again.

What I just said would mean nothing to Athiest but thought Id say it since I was thinking it.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is silly. People have a reason for believing in God (it offers insight into how the universe started, why we have consciousness, how life started, why the laws of physics are the way they are, and so on). The unicorn analogy, teapot analogy, spagehtti analogy or whatever is stupid. People who say MAN WHY DON'T U BELIEVE IN THE EASTER BUNNY...GET IT!?? THEY'RE EXACTLY THE SAME! I WROTE A BOOK ABOUT IT...GET IT?? ITS JUST LIKE THE BIBLE!! HA~! need to read up a little. God can be defined as many things and there are a lot of things that prove that he exists, although none of it is hard science. It can't be. If God were 100% proven, this life would be meaningless.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a whole bunch of assertions, and make no effort to back them up. An easy question: What method can I use to determine which unverifiable beliefs are legitimate (Christianity?) and which ones are absurd (unicorns?) and is this method universally applicable? Explain the criteria to me.

EDIT: I'm also curious as to what this insight is. Which of these great cosmic questions does a belief in the Christian God answer? Why we are here? Of course not, it merely pushes the question back a step.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is silly. People have a reason for believing in God (it offers insight into how the universe started, why we have consciousness, how life started, why the laws of physics are the way they are, and so on).

[/ QUOTE ]
...or they were indoctrinated as children. People have reasons for believing in Scientology and killing infidels too....do you think that should be beyond the realm of inquiry?

[ QUOTE ]
there are a lot of things that prove that he exists, although none of it is hard science.

[/ QUOTE ]
Post these proofs, either here or in a new thread. Otherwise, you're acting just as retarded as easter bunny people you deride above.

[ QUOTE ]
If God were 100% proven, this life would be meaningless.

[/ QUOTE ]
What?
Old 02-21-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is silly. People have a reason for believing in God (it offers insight into how the universe started, why we have consciousness, how life started, why the laws of physics are the way they are, and so on).

[/ QUOTE ]
...or they were indoctrinated as children. People have reasons for believing in Scientology and killing infidels too....do you think that should be beyond the realm of inquiry?

[ QUOTE ]
there are a lot of things that prove that he exists, although none of it is hard science.

[/ QUOTE ]
Post these proofs, either here or in a new thread. Otherwise, you're acting just as retarded as easter bunny people you deride above.

[ QUOTE ]
If God were 100% proven, this life would be meaningless.

[/ QUOTE ]
What?

[/ QUOTE ]

We seem to be flush with 'people who grossly underestimate their opposition' lately.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:47 AM

"Which of these great cosmic questions does a belief in the Christian God answer? Why we are here? Of course not, it merely pushes the question back a step."

Of course not? If you say, "God created man but only he knows why" I think that offers a good answer to people looking for the truth. Can something arrive from nothing? Not according to any science I've ever heard. Saying there is a God explains why things exist.

I'm not saying we shouldn't question it. I'm saying that comparing it to something we know is just a myth or made up like the Easter Bunny or Santa is ridiculous. As for proofs I'm not going to post them, you can google them easily. Accounts of verdical NDE's (where the dead patient sees/hears things later verified to be true) or out of body experiences raise eyebrows, as well as a bunch of other things that I can't remember a whole lot about. The common "science" explanation for a lot of supernatural phenomena is severely lacking - however, they don't need to be considered as nothing supernatural holds up as scientific evidence, so believing it or not is your choice.

As for life being meaningless, well...if we KNEW that we'd die and go to heaven, wouldn't life be so much different? If you were ever a Christian you wondered why people didn't look forward to death more or try to basically live out there lives as fast as possible. I mean, eternal paradise is a hell of a lot better than what we have here isn't it? If there is a God I can logically assume two things - BECAUSE of this he probably wouldn't (or even couldn't) make his existance 100% known, and also that he wouldn't make a universe that's not scientifically explainable. Science is just a collection of assumptions made from repeated observations and testing. How could a universe NOT be scientifically explainable? Which is why I doubt science, even evolutionary science is going to disprove God at all.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Which is why I doubt science, even evolutionary science is going to disprove God at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

or unicorns, or ....

luckyme
Old 02-21-2007, 01:02 AM

I said that God would make a universe that is scientifically explainable, and as such the fact that we can explain things with science doesn't disprove God. Unicorns have nothing to do with this...they don't create the universe!

It's true that you could never disprove the *existance* of unicorns somewhere, but I think it's fundimentally different than the argument we're having here. Of course I know I'm gonna get a lot of disagreement on this but I cannot logically compare the two.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you say, "God created man but only he knows why" I think that offers a good answer to people looking for the truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Well, that doesn't seem debatable....

[ QUOTE ]

Can something arrive from nothing? Not according to any science I've ever heard. Saying there is a God explains why things exist.

[/ QUOTE ]
It comforts me to know that you've thought this through in a rigorous metaphysical manner...