Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Canterbury drama last night

most things about Canterbury are ridiculous. There are a few people I get along with there but if I go there twice a year (I live 15 minutes from the place) that is a lot. It is full of people that aren't empowered in their lives and take every opportunity against their customers. The customer experience at Canterbury is awful. The rake is ridiculous but all of that pales in comparison to their worst short coming.

They don't have No Limit cash games. (please don't tell me the state doesn't allow it, I know as a matter of fact that they lobbied for that, the original people thought No Limit breaks the players. Most of the people making the rules back then were players that went broke playing big bet poker.) The twin cities can support no limit cash games, that is the stupidest rule. Even if it requires lobbying the state many of the state senators play No Limit.

There is a lot wrong with Canterbury Downs and the people that defend it either haven't seen how things are run elsewhere or don't play online.

The cell phone rule as it is enforced is ignorant, isn't their something silly like no ipods too. I could see this if they had slot machines but they don't. It is just about them trying to gain a little bit of power in their powerless world.

This all comes from the top and in the beginning Randy Sampson listened to the wrong people and didn't empower the right people. When the wrong people left the culture was too much to overcome for the good people that stayed.

Ultimately for me I talk with my feet so I never go there but what a shame, when they first opened their was so much promise.

Didn't the rake go up recently? So basically you are now paying more for horrendous service.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
where is $3 rake still the standard?

I agree the cell-phone rules sound pretty silly. But I also don't think it should be that necessary to talk on the phone at the table. Not the end of the world to step away and actually MISS a hand or two to make a call.
I always do this courtesy when I'm making or receiving a call even in rooms where I am perfectly allowed to remain in my seat and continue playing.
But I just step away from the table and get dealt-out because I think it's more appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most everyone would agree with you. It is the lengths they go to enforcing this rule that make it silly. A dealer could be in the middle of a 2k pot and if your phone rings all of his/her attention is on you and not their job. The last time I was there a cell phone went off in a hand and the dealer misdealt on the turn and it became a total mess. The table fish would have hit a set on the turn instead he lost the hand and immediately left, everyone was so upset the game broke.

Nice rule. Rules in poker can't be black and white because the situation changes so often.

In general though you are right, it is just the practice that is off in this case.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
most things about Canterbury are ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree more. Most things about the place are great.

[ QUOTE ]
It is full of people that aren't empowered in their lives and take every opportunity against their customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, you are way off.

[ QUOTE ]
There are a few people I get along with there but if I go there twice a year (I live 15 minutes from the place) that is a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You claim to know so much about how the place is run, but only go twice/year? Clearly something doesn't add up here.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
isn't their something silly like no ipods too.

[/ QUOTE ]

No iPhones allowed to play music, because you could text on them. No iTouches, since they could be iPhones.

No cordless headphones to listen to anything, because they could be bluetooth'd to a phone and used to collude.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:13 PM

Take a trip to play poker somewhere outside of MN and you will see just how good we have it.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 11-13-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol @ the security guard making me drive my bud back to hotel to get his ID when he was there for the past two weeks and is 6 foot 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah there are no 6'8" 17 year olds.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:38 PM

I used to be a regular at CP in the 15 game about a year and a half ago and am coming back in the next few days. I have lived in Vegas and am originally from Toronto and can honestly say that CP is the best Poker room I have plyed in on a regular basis.

In Toronto we are literally playing in prison. We aren't allowed to use a phone, ipods, headphones, and definitely no eating whatsoever at the table.

I've played in most of the cardrooms in Vegas, Arizona and AC and can say that I can't wait to get back to CP.

As per Poker Bob's comments about the floor person...I am sure we all have the one floor guy in every card room that we can't stand, so hopefully this guy is just that and not the norm.

Poker Bob, I am fairly new to 2+2 but have read your blog (recommended by my/your buddy Nick P) and look forward to playing with you once I get down there.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol @ the security guard making me drive my bud back to hotel to get his ID when he was there for the past two weeks and is 6 foot 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah there are no 6'8" 17 year olds.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at not just bringing your ID with you in the first place.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How on earth you think that a guy merely doing his job by asking for ID is inappropriate boggles the mind.