Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 07:11 AM

Default Flopped set vs flush draw

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Question regards flopping a set and "knowing" you are against a flush draw. Must you pay off in 2/4?

Example: Playing 2/4 at HRC in Tampa. I'm one-off w/7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. One raise preflop from mid-pos, 7 plyrs, $25 in pot (after rake/jp).

Flop is 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], BB bets, called by 3 plyrs, I raise. Pot is now $43. Turn comes, sure enough, A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Checked around, I bet, BB check-raises, all other plyers fold to me, I call. River is 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], he bets. Final pot before my river call is $62. Villain turns over 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the flush.

Note that he was new to the table, so I had no read yet. Even if I did, would it make that big of a difference? Do I still have to pay off hoping for a paired board on the river and the size of the pot on the last bet?

Any thoughts about how to play this out at slightly higher stakes, such as $4/8?

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2007, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Flopped set vs flush draw

you absolutely must call the turn. i don't know if that's a question, but you seemed to ask about it. i hope you understand that your draw on the turn is better than an acehigh flush draw to the nuts. you have 10 outs with 46 unseen cards. you need less than 4-1 to call profitably.

as for the river, it's mostly a read-based thing. fwiw, given the pot size he doesn't need to be getting out of line with two pair, etc. very often for you to pay off.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you absolutely must call the turn. i don't know if that's a question, but you seemed to ask about it. i hope you understand that your draw on the turn is better than an acehigh flush draw to the nuts. you have 10 outs with 46 unseen cards. you need less than 4-1 to call profitably.

as for the river, it's mostly a read-based thing. fwiw, given the pot size he doesn't need to be getting out of line with two pair, etc. very often for you to pay off.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-20-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 10-21-2007, 06:51 AM

Thanks, James, for your on-target, clear advice. I guess part of limit is paying off now to avoid having too many shots taken later in the game by opponents who see too many "thoughtful" folds.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, James, for your on-target, clear advice. I guess part of limit is paying off now to avoid having too many shots taken later in the game by opponents who see too many "thoughtful" folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

A pro once told me that big laydowns at the river for one bet is not the way to win a limit poker.