Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Re: should I always get an addon?

If you are a good winning player... Always add-on/rebuy/double-buy (unless you are giving up on the tournament). It is +EV not so much because your ROI% will increase (it will actually remain about the same), but a bigger investment means a bigger return.

If you are a losing player who plays as a hobby... do whatever will provide you with the most entertainment in your own opinion.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are a good winning player... Always add-on/rebuy/double-buy (unless you are giving up on the tournament). It is +EV not so much because your ROI% will increase (it will actually remain about the same), but a bigger investment means a bigger return.

If you are a losing player who plays as a hobby... do whatever will provide you with the most entertainment in your own opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to ask again, there might be something I just donīt get in the very basics, because I never have been to much into MTTs.

If I buy into a MTT, I hope to get a max ROI. So if I bought into a MTT and didnīt rebuy once and the addon just boosts my stack by 10% that doesnīt double my expected Return???????

(Itīs probably like telling someone: donīt eat the yellow snow! But I really donīt get the math behind it)
Old 08-11-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you also rebuy at the very end of the rebuy period? isnt it better to start a new MTT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. Usually a lot of people have already bailed out.

In a 2.20 turbo rebuy today, I busted the hand before the rebuy period ended (I did so somewhat intentionally b/c I didn't have many chips anyway).

Anyhow, I made the double rebuy + the addon. Gave me 3500 chips at the 150/300 level (6-max turbo).

Went on to get a seat pretty easily. For me, staying in the MTT is +EV. That's all I really need to know.

And FWIW, always add-on.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Excuse the newbquestion, but I just started with rebuyMTTs.
I do understand, that the chipvalue is pretty good at the addons, but I donīt understand that it is +EV to double your BI to raise your chipstack by 5% if you are running good. Is a 5% boost worth that you 1/2 your ROI???

[/ QUOTE ]

Making a double rebuy does NOT cut your ROI in half. Many might even argue that it doubles their ROI. While it may seem that it cuts your ROI in 1/2, that $ is still going to the prize pool, and others are going to rebuy as well. Still others are going to give up and quit.

You double-rebuy so that when you double up, you go to 6K rather than 3K. And if you double again, you will have 12K rather than 6K.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to ask again, there might be something I just donīt get in the very basics, because I never have been to much into MTTs.

If I buy into a MTT, I hope to get a max ROI. So if I bought into a MTT and didnīt rebuy once and the addon just boosts my stack by 10% that doesnīt double my expected Return???????

(Itīs probably like telling someone: donīt eat the yellow snow! But I really donīt get the math behind it)

[/ QUOTE ]

I will try my best. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

When you buy into a freezeout tournament (non-rebuy), you are indeed trying to maximize your ROI%. This is also the same as saying you are trying to maximize your +$EV.

However, in rebuy tournaments you are not exclusively trying to maximize your ROI%. Rather, you are attempting to achieve a maximum profit gain. In rebuy tournaments, your ROI% and +$EV will vary depending how much you invest in the rebuy.

Here is an example to illustrate this point. Both scenario's are taken from a 11r:

1) You only buyin once, do not rebuy, and don't take the addon. You do well and finish in 40th place for $120. You invested $11, thus gaining $109, for a whopping ROI% of 1091%.

2) You begin with a double buy-in, and take the add-on. You finish in 20th place for $200. You invested $31, thus gaining $169. In this case your ROI% is 645%

Which scenario would you prefer? A gain of $109 with a ROI of 1091%, or a $169 gain with a ROI of 645%?
Old 08-12-2007, 01:24 AM

Always add on. You're getting chips that cost 3/4ths the initial price and the blinds are still relatively low.