Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation

Old 09-13-2007, 11:53 PM

Default Focus on the Family News...

Interesting read on Dobson pushing the envelope of his tax exempt status in other areas. Also contributions up less than 1% annually forcing some layoffs. Hopefully this will continue.

Cleared by IRS and Layoffs due to Budget Shortfall
Old 09-14-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Focus on the Family News...

Nice, thanks for the link, I enjoyed a few fun posts there.
See OldBookGuy and Newly Confused Christian.

The latter was in response to a comment, Christians are NOT under the Old Testament, so, then, what about the Christians demanding displaying the 10 Commandments?

Ah, just shows the duality of the extemist Right's thinking process.

obg
Old 09-14-2007, 04:19 AM

lol. Now I know how the Muslim's feel when a few douchebags claim to speak for all Muslims. Please don't lump all "Christians" in with these tards.

I was a minister at a non-denom church until about a year ago and I could give two $hits whether or not the 10 commandments is displayed.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:34 AM

They employ 1205 people? What on earth (or in heaven) do they do? (Apart from banking donations to pay the wages obviously).
Old 09-14-2007, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They employ 1205 people? What on earth (or in heaven) do they do? (Apart from banking donations to pay the wages obviously).

[/ QUOTE ]

I try to impress this. Modern day evangelical christianity is BIG BUSINESS. These people publish everything. Books, TV shows, movies, Sunday school packets, School texts, radio shows, and anything you can think of. They solicit money in donations as well. Dobson is RICH. They have political organizations as well. They are setting up a dual life structure. Christian this, christian that. They raise kids
who never go to school or the movies or see regulat TV. They are setting up a country within a country that reads the same things, watches the same media, and VOTES the same way. I get bitched at for calling them Nazis, but they want and crave power and uniformity. And they are doing it. Maybe you blue state people don't believe it or see it, but I see it on an everyday basis. They even have destination emigration areas inside the US for you to move to so they can saturate areas with "christian" communities. GWB will not be the end of their political malevolence. Even if numbers are declining and ageing, they are turning out a core of propaganda educated youth and uneducated older people who will vote as they are cajoled from the puplit.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:58 AM

This is exactly what I see and it is FRIGHTENING. Well said.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:00 AM

They are in some respects more firghtening than the Nazis.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The latter was in response to a comment, Christians are NOT under the Old Testament, so, then, what about the Christians demanding displaying the 10 Commandments?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read anything in the link yet.

While I don't agree with some of FoF's weird views, I wanted to point out the following:

While Christians are not 'under' the old testament in the current age, nine out of ten of the old commandments were reiterated as part of the new covenant.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:43 AM

Though many, myself included, main stream Christians understand this, here is the reply from a FoF poster, interesting and I add emphasis in bold areas:

Newly confused, I can see where the confusion comes in and I will try to wade in here. When Jesus came, he simplified the Ten Commandments by saying that there were two. They were to love God above all- the first commandment and love your neighbor as yourself. If, we as a world followed those two commands of love, we wouldn't need the others. If you loved you wouldn't murder, lie or cheat or hurt other people. I know this is a fairly simple explanation for a seemingly harder question. Now, if only we could just love. That really is the key. The Ten Commandments will alway be a good way to guide us. But if we all followed what Jesus said, this world would be a better place. Mark 12 29-31. No greater commands than these.

beliver - Sep 14, 2007 04:36:05 AM

So, seems we are down to two commandments.

Actually, my point was focused on the WONDER poster and the push by the Far right to post the 10 commandments in all public / governmental places and the posters statement of not being under the Old Testament, the duality of the position, no OT, except we want OT, sometimes.

obg
Old 09-14-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is exactly what I see and it is FRIGHTENING. Well said.

[/ QUOTE ]

These self appointed prophets always seem really scary up and until, they crash and burn. Jim Jones, Tammy and Jimmy Baker, Swaggert, the list goes on and on. They come in waves. They are like light bulbs and manage to get really bright just before they burn out.

In the end they all end up drinking the Kool-aid.

Be it poison, drugs, little boys, prostitutes, or simple old fashioned excessive greed.

Thank God God has a sense of humor!

They want to post the 10 Commandment and in the end break more than half.

D$D