Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 04:09 AM

Default Re: The APPT Macau: The First Texas Hold’em Poker Tournament in China!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have an opinion on the hotel where the tournament is being played? Is it a really nice hotel, or just ok?
Through PS the rate looks to be only $100/night whereas Wynn is about $500/night.
Assuming Wynn Macau is the same as Wynn Las Vegas, what Vegas hotel would the one where the tournament is being held compare to?
How far is Wynn from the tournament?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

The Wynn Macau and the Venetian Macau are "7-star" hotels by Chinese standards.

(The new Venetian Macau on the "Cotai Strip" is within walking distance of the Grand Waldo, but NOT the Wynn Macau which is on the Macau Peninsula.)

The Grand Waldo is a "5-star" property by Chinese standards, which means it is about a "3-star" property by U.S. standards (on par with Holiday Inn)

(Motel 6 would be considered a "3-star" hotel by Chinese standards.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, Oliver, but you have never stayed on property. It isn't Bellagio, but it is as nice as Mirage, and nicer than the Rio or Commerce. It is less than two years old, new and nice furnishings, in room safes and refrigerator, marble bathrooms, great linens and towels. It is far from a Holiday Inn. No one will object to the property. I was very happy with my room.

Matt Savage
Old 10-29-2007, 07:22 AM

Matt,

What are we looking at as far as dealers? Experienced?

Glad that there are in room safes as well.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
can someone price out a private jet from LA to macau?

[/ QUOTE ]

This post needs far more attention. Enough ballers headed out there that I'm sure wouldn't mind paying a bit extra to have a private jet they are free to consume bottles of Johnny Walker Blue on and play high stakes NL cash on. Would certainly make for good BBV material.

[/ QUOTE ]I'd say $80k minimum round trip, but that's a guess from fairly limited experience.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Many of us will be on the Wednesday night 10pm ferry from the Hong Kong Airport Ferry Terminal, arriving at the Macau Ferry Terminal around 11pm.

The last shuttle bus to the Grand Waldo Hotel leaves Macau Ferry Terminal at 11:45pm.

You need to arrive in Hong Kong by no later than 7:30pm on Wednesday night just to be safe so that you can make the 10pm ferry.

90 minutes should be enough time for you to retrieve your luggage, check in at the ferry shuttle bus gate (and buy your ferry ticket if you hadn't reserved it ahead of time), and take the shuttle bus to the ferry terminal.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI, while the easiest way to get to Macau from Hong Kong International Airport is the direct ferry from the airport ferry terminal to the Macau ferry terminal, there are only five direct ferries per day (full schedule).

If you arrive before, after or between these ferry times and don't want to wait, consider taking the Airport Express train from the airport to downtown Hong Kong (Cost: 100 HKD or 12 USD) and then taking a taxi from there to the Hong Kong Ferry Terminal (Taxi Cost: 40 HKD or 5 USD) where ferries for Macau depart every 15-30 minutes all day.

Once you arrive in Macau at the ferry terminal, you can either take the shuttle bus (free) or a taxi (Cost: about 50 MOP/HKD or 6 USD). But if you take a taxi make sure you have a print-out of the location map as your driver may not speak English and know where you want to go.

We look forward to seeing you all in Macau.

Cheers,

Jeffrey
Old 10-29-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have an opinion on the hotel where the tournament is being played? Is it a really nice hotel, or just ok?
Through PS the rate looks to be only $100/night whereas Wynn is about $500/night.
Assuming Wynn Macau is the same as Wynn Las Vegas, what Vegas hotel would the one where the tournament is being held compare to?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

(The new Venetian Macau on the "Cotai Strip" is within walking distance of the Grand Waldo, but NOT the Wynn Macau which is on the Macau Peninsula.)

The Grand Waldo is a "5-star" property by Chinese standards, which means it is about a "3-star" property by U.S. standards (on par with Holiday Inn)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, Oliver, but you have never stayed on property. It isn't Bellagio, but it is as nice as Mirage, and nicer than the Rio or Commerce. It is less than two years old, new and nice furnishings, in room safes and refrigerator, marble bathrooms, great linens and towels. It is far from a Holiday Inn. No one will object to the property. I was very happy with my room.

Matt Savage

[/ QUOTE ]

That's two extremely different descriptions! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt Savage

[/ QUOTE ]

That's two extremely different descriptions! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

When in doubt, trust the guy that has been there [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2007, 05:26 PM

90% going, looks like it will be a lot of fun.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt Savage

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When in doubt, trust the guy that has been there [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a 5 star person.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:50 PM

I have stayed in Grand Waldo and it matches what Matt Savage says. I don't know who this olivert guy is but he doesn't know much.

Edit: He doesn't know as much as he thinks he knows

ALSO I have a question! Will we be able to exchange USD back into HKD at the 7.8 rate at the end of the tournament? I don't want to have leftover USD.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:28 AM

Tournament payouts go to your PS account if that's what you're referring to.