Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-26-2007, 02:35 AM

Default Re: So I\'m going to Prison for 2 years

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like I've already said, there's been virtually no effect on the number of "alcohol-related" car deaths (which is a pretty skewed stat anyways) since the drop from .10 to .08 Yet the number of arrests has almost doubled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a link to any of these studies?

The obvious problem here is that when arrests double, it means there is a decent chance that the population (on the whole) didnt change its behaviour, either because they didnt know about the new law or chose to ignore it. If that is true, the fact that accident rates are similar is expected.

I tried to find something on google scholar, but couldnt. However, there was a good article showing that the law change in Denmark from 0.08 to 0.05 BAC (evidently some of Europe uses BAC), didnt have an effect on accident rates. And it appeared to be a pretty solid look at all the variables, though it admittedly had a smallish sample size of 10 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now I can't. I'm trying to find a chart on the number of DUI arrests per year then compare that to the years in which the law was changed and the level reduced, but i'm not having much luck in the department either. Ill keep trying
Old 11-26-2007, 02:37 AM

did you not get a lawyer???
Old 11-26-2007, 02:38 AM

stinkypete, you know we come across each other a fair bit in these forums (I mean it's not like you're a lurker either) and if you want to keep up with the attacks that's your deal. My point was that it was beaten to death in this thread. There is limited value in proving to you that I have friends or spend time away from here or get ass from time to time. I am old, however, I can't get away from that.

Edge, let me dial it back a bit. I WISH we lived in a world where the cops did things 100% according to the book. Don't we all? But the fact is I've seen and heard of too many acts of lines being crossed to be comfortable with standing pat, and more strict DUI laws not only are unreasonable and unnecessary at this point but give police even more discretion, which is not something I am comfortable with.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, there's one easy way to avoid a DUI, which is to call a cab. The problem is that there's a risk/reward issue here. Cabs are ridiculously expensive, and I won't be able to go out and party as often due to financial restraints if I go down that road. You do hear about celebrities getting DUIs quite often, but I'd bet that middle and lower class people receive them at much higher rates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the other easy way to avoid a DUI is to know your limits and not drink to the point where you can't drive if you know you have to. A cab from the bars in downtown St. Cloud to my apartment goes something like $15. I can't really fade that every night, so I either have a DD or don't drink as much.

This all sucks, but its not that hard to avoid a DUI if you're really concerned about it. Most of the time, one is all it takes for people to learn the lesson. Let's get it back on this thread's track - OP, for whatever reason (sickness or stupidity), didn't learn his lesson from THREE blackouts. 2.5 years will give him some more time to evaluate his decisions, and hopefully the help he says he has gotten sticks.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:44 AM

Join a gang

Old 11-26-2007, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
stinkypete, you know we come across each other a fair bit in these forums (I mean it's not like you're a lurker either) and if you want to keep up with the attacks that's your deal. My point was that it was beaten to death in this thread. There is limited value in proving to you that I have friends or spend time away from here or get ass from time to time. I am old, however, I can't get away from that.

Edge, let me dial it back a bit. I WISH we lived in a world where the cops did things 100% according to the book. Don't we all? But the fact is I've seen and heard of too many acts of lines being crossed to be comfortable with standing pat, and more strict DUI laws not only are unreasonable and unnecessary at this point but give police even more discretion, which is not something I am comfortable with.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is perfectly reasonable, and I knew you had it in you. I generally respect your opinion, which is why I was so surprised you were being pretty unreasonable. I know its not a perfect world. But when you have people who think 0.08 is too arbitrary, it would seem to me that you have to give police discretion in order to properly enforce a law that is based on a compromise for BAC. That's all my initial point was.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, there's one easy way to avoid a DUI, which is to call a cab. The problem is that there's a risk/reward issue here. Cabs are ridiculously expensive, and I won't be able to go out and party as often due to financial restraints if I go down that road. You do hear about celebrities getting DUIs quite often, but I'd bet that middle and lower class people receive them at much higher rates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a good thread that was in politics that deals with Taxi monopolies, and explains why they're so expensive in certain places.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the other easy way to avoid a DUI is to know your limits and not drink to the point where you can't drive if you know you have to. A cab from the bars in downtown St. Cloud to my apartment goes something like $15. I can't really fade that every night, so I either have a DD or don't drink as much.

This all sucks, but its not that hard to avoid a DUI if you're really concerned about it. Most of the time, one is all it takes for people to learn the lesson. Let's get it back on this thread's track - OP, for whatever reason (sickness or stupidity), didn't learn his lesson from THREE blackouts. 2.5 years will give him some more time to evaluate his decisions, and hopefully the help he says he has gotten sticks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not concerned at all. I know my limits, and I know that my limit is probably 3x the legal limit, and that I can still drive fine. By using the word 'I,' I was referring to the average Joe who does drink and drive.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:50 AM

I should clarify that I would never drink anything close to my limit and drive in high speed zones. The only times that I do this are in areas with no higher thana 35 mph limit.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:17 AM

OP,

you deserve it. plz dont kill me with your car ever.