Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Adjusting to a bad streak.

[ QUOTE ]
"I have been running bad the last week. Fortunately, I have broke pretty close to even."

Sorry but I stopped reading here. You play break even poker for a week and whine about it? Try posting again when you hit a real bad streak.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of my post is not that this is a prolonged bad streak that I am in. I have had many long losing streaks over the course of my poker career and I am well aware that one week is nothing. However, during this particualar week I have sensed that some players have made some adjustments toward me and going forward I was curious how you handle these situations.

So read on.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:18 AM

My short answer: check the turn more.

Then usually fold the river, and sometimes call the river. (I'm talking about AK on a dry board). Sounds like these blinds are on to you. I don't think they are continuing beyond the flop without a pair, so take the free card on the turn because you are behind, and fold the river if they bet.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"I have been running bad the last week. Fortunately, I have broke pretty close to even."

Sorry but I stopped reading here. You play break even poker for a week and whine about it? Try posting again when you hit a real bad streak.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of my post is not that this is a prolonged bad streak that I am in. I have had many long losing streaks over the course of my poker career and I am well aware that one week is nothing. However, during this particualar week I have sensed that some players have made some adjustments toward me and going forward I was curious how you handle these situations.

So read on.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they adjust, you adjust. If they are putting you on ace high and calling you with bottom pair, check behind with ace high and value bet the hell out of medium pairs.

I've been break even for the last two months at the bellagio 15 and in addition to the above I've also cut down on isolation raises and I tightened up my blind steal range. Basically playing more ABC and less LAG. Also I hooked up my SNES and locked myself in my apartment for a couple of days and played some tecmo bowl and super ghouls and ghosts and found a 4-8/6-12 h.o.r.s.e game at Red Rock, that helped clear my mind.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:55 AM

Try to think of how your opponents read board textures. Some will peel flop with anything. Some need at least TWO overcards and a a nonscary board.
Sometimes betting AK ui on the turn is ez value, and sometimes it is pure spew. Most of the time it is somewhere in between, and your results will be pure variance.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If they adjust, you adjust. If they are putting you on ace high and calling you with bottom pair, check behind with ace high and value bet the hell out of medium pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is wrong. In HU situations, if your opponents are:
-defending a ton preflop
-peeling a ton of flops

then betting on the turn is often for value. Plain an simple.

The exception is when the board is bad, or you think a value check is a stronger play b/c you fear a CR bluff.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My short answer: check the turn more.

Then usually fold the river, and sometimes call the river. (I'm talking about AK on a dry board). Sounds like these blinds are on to you. I don't think they are continuing beyond the flop without a pair, so take the free card on the turn because you are behind, and fold the river if they bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is an adjustment I have been making based on the opponents. Against two loose passives who call my A high flop continuation bet, I will try to assess how much of the time they have a pair when they do that. With those who are close to 100% I start checking the turn and folding UI on the river. They may still check the river with their little pairs so you get more info.

Then of course you have to occasionally call on the river because even bad players will try to take advantage.

There are some loose passives who will fold on the turn with nothing. Against them you have to bet the turn with your A high and check behind on the river UI.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:38 PM

if the thought "i have been running bad the last week" ever enters the mind of a live player they should just quit poker. that is like "i have been running bad the last 45 minutes" online.