Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 03:34 PM

Default Re: INS marriages

I personal find it amusing (in a bad way) when people drop one liner’s like, “keep em all out.” The Devil’s forum is by far and away the best on 2+2 where people post thoughtful concepts, ideas, comments question .etc I hope we can keep it that way.

In the context of INS marriages occurring with women and men already in the United States I think it’s tough because I find it really hard to blame them for wanting to stay in the US. It’s too bad it didn’t work out for Elsapo but how can we fault this girl for waiting around even after they had split to stay in the US. We have a country with a bunch of shortcomings but it’s still pretty goddamn great.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"The interesting thing is that almost everyone to whom I tell this story knows someone who married completely for INS reasons AND it is often the case that the couple stayed together after their five year yoke was up."

I think this has a lot to do with the man being the US citizen most of the time and the girls coming from cultures that are a lot more patriarchal than the West. After you are with a girl who worships you and waits on you hand and foot, its probably real tough to go back to a standard American nag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point, and the 'waiting on hand and foot' could be exacerbated by the fact that the man and/or woman might perceive some special debt w/r/t the INS marriage.

I have an American friend who married a beautiful, intelligent, Japanese girl who is also the heir to a huge fortune (her father OWNS the Japanese equivalent of Dorritos). They married legitemately and he had to go to Japan to be installed as a supervisor in her father's company (though he speaks no Japanese and has no skills). She has an MBA from an American university, will become CEO of her father's company when he dies. Despite this, she waits on him hand and foot when she comes back from a hard days work and seems quite happy to do it.

Sigh. Japanese girls.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:33 PM

I'd marry someone so they could get a green card if they paid me. What the hell, right?

Maybe I should make a post on Craigslist for this. I'd probably get some replies.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"do you have any sort of real evidence to back this claim up?"

No, and I should have included more of a disclaimer than "I believe". The information came unsolicited from the mouth of an Immigration attorney specializing in Visas to the USA. I found it interesting and wanted to add it to the discussion, but obviously should have included the source in my post. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's simply not true. There are plenty of countries where it is almost impossible to immigrate. Norway is one example I know, but there are many others I'm sure.

Other than the stupid cap on H1B's and the stupid lotto, dealing with legitimate work visas is relatively easy. It is true that getting a green card & so in is a pain, but that's just beaurocracy, and it's also sort of intentionally a pain to make sure you're serious.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd marry someone so they could get a green card if they paid me. What the hell, right?

Maybe I should make a post on Craigslist for this. I'd probably get some replies.

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't this illegal? im pretty sure it is but it doesn't stop people. I overheard some girl in my college campus talking on the cell about her friend doing this. So I guess people see this as nothing wrong even though it is illegal to the point they will chat about it in the open.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
people who marry for the sole purpose of gaining entrance to this country are scumbags in my book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you actually have a better reason for this than 'because it makes it more difficult for people who really love each other, like me and my wife'? I mean I see where you're coming from, but I find that argument incredibly selfish and shortsighted. How can you blame somebody for taking that option?

Why does your wife deserve to be in the US more than someone who isn't in love with a US citizen? Is there a divine law that says you have to be in love to be married? (don't be a smartass and say 'yes')

I'm not happy with the way the concept of 'citizenship' works in general. I could also point out that most people in the US are descendants of immigrants from the relatively recent past. I also seem to recall that you're Mexican, so in your case we're probably talking the last century.

Who are you (or anyone) to decide who deserves to be a citizen/have a green card? If your answer is 'well it's illegal to do xyz', why do you so vehemently believe that law is just?
Old 07-16-2007, 04:03 AM

Anyone here have an "INS marriage" or know someone who does that actually worked out well? e.g. 2 people who had not been dating, but decided to tie the knot for citizenship purposes?

I'm Canadian and have a US g/f who i've been dating for around a year. I'm nowhere close to marriage, but i'm now starting to have work visa issues, and i get so frustrated when i think how many hoops i have to jump thru just so they'll let me work here, pay taxes, and contribute positively to your economy. I'm not ready to do something as crazy as an INS marriage, but...well, let's just call me an interested observer at this point. I want to know just how 'streamlined' a process it is for someone from a 1st-world country who's been in the US for 10 years attending top schools; or does all of that not matter, and i'll be just as scrutinized as the cattle-herder from Uruguay who marries a poor American girl he's been "dating" for 2 weeks?
Old 07-16-2007, 10:00 AM

I've seen and heard of similar efforts in people trying to get into Australia.

While I'm obviously unfamiliar with the US experience, the Australian detection method seems exceptionally good - requiring things like wedding photos, evience of joint financial arrangeents, and other stuff that every married couple has, but very few others have. This applies to all applying couples. It's not simply a matter of claiming marriage - but rather, proving it to a reasonable immigration official.

I've heard claims similar to TeddyFBI's - that people from different nationalities are treated differently, but I've never actually seen any evidence of this genuinely happening.

(also, whoever said that the US has the toughest immigration policy in the world is simply talking crap - it is one of the most accepting of migrants. it is really only the anglo-western nations (UK, USA, Australia, Canada, NZ, etc. and europe that accept migrants in any significant size, besides obviously disaster refugee movements.)
Old 07-16-2007, 01:42 PM

teddy - Not sure. but my suspicion is that it will be roughly almost as much of a PITA for you.
This stuff definitely ain't easy and especially so since the 9/11 attacks.

My GF knows a couple who got married 25 yrs ago or something who weren't romantically involved at the time. They are still married and that was not part of the orgiinal plan but evidently all they do is yell at each other.

This isn't exactly uncommon for some lousier marriages though so I'm not sure if this technically qualifies as having 'worked out well' or not.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:43 AM

"(also, whoever said that the US has the toughest immigration policy in the world is simply talking crap - it is one of the most accepting of migrants. it is really only the anglo-western nations (UK, USA, Australia, Canada, NZ, etc. and europe that accept migrants in any significant size, besides obviously disaster refugee movements.) "

I think you guys who are doubting this are confusing visas with green cards/permanent residency.