Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Hypothetical Question For/About The PPA RE: State Poker Laws

I live in a state that has a loophole in thier gambling laws that exclude games of skill. now i have been thinking of opening a poker room around this law but i know i will run into trouble, maybe even war. the ppa said here on a post that thier job as an organization is to fight for online gaming and for poker to be considered a skill game at the state level.so i'm wondering if i would be able to recieve some kind of help from them when the showdown with my state would happen if i were to decide to do this.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical Question For/About The PPA RE: State Poker Laws

If you were to look at other threads, you would see this already being discussed, and should be a topic at the October Fly-In (it definitely would be if I could attend - I have contacted TE about the idea, and maybe can bring it up as part of the virtual fly-in).

The PPA should, IMHO, have a central litigation support team. I would envision one paid person, and several PPA lawyers and Pros as volunteers (this comes from a lawyer who would gladly fill either role). A person such as yourself contacts them, and they provide you with the basics of your state law, the basics of how to argue that poker is a game of mostly skill, a list of local lawyers to choose from, and, if you do end up in court, sample Motions/Briefs and a pool of available experts (who would help you for just expenses, no fees).

Until and unless that occurs, if you do decide to go through with this, PM me. Let me know which state you are in, and I can give you starting advice on how to proceed (it would be even better if you talked to a local lawyer first, and then had that local lawyer contact me).

Skallagrim
Old 10-07-2007, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Hypothetical Question For/About The PPA RE: State Poker Laws

check your pm box