Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 12:33 PM

Default $5 NL 6-Max: I have to call this right?

Villain is bad. Main pot I saw him involved in is a $6+ 3-way pot when an Ace hit on the flop and he and another player lost to the out of position pf raiser (AK) calling with A9o and A3o, to showdown.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($12.80)
Button ($21.56)
SB ($22.34)
BB ($4.93)
UTG ($10.26)
MP ($6.28)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.05, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.35</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.77) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.35</font>, UTG calls $0.35.

Turn: ($1.47) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1.47) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $0.3</font>, Hero ?

Should I be double-barreling this turn with the FD present for protection or is checking for pot control better? I kinda felt that checking the turn was a mistake because I'm simply turning my hand into a bluff catcher on the river when any other over or club hits. However, his bet size (blocking) is what I feel makes this a call with my hand. Thoughts.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Re: $5 NL 6-Max: I have to call this right?

I would bet the flop, the flush draw is possible, could be playing a suited ace. Bet on the turn and don't give him good odds to call.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:45 PM

First of all, your table selection is terrible. You are at a table with 2 people over 4 x the max buyin, 1 with 2 x the max, and 2 right around max. Don't play against winning players. Play aginst people who buy in for $1, lose it, and rebuy.

Don't ever half-pot on the flop. If you have $100 on Stars that is 20 buyins, don't be afraid to commit money. Pot it.

At this level he's probably not slowplaying anything that you can beat. His turn check likely means he has only a draw. The only draw he could have that you beat is 5-6. Fold the river unless you consider it worth 6 BB to see if your read was right.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:50 PM

bet the pot on the flop
check turn
c/f river, you really beat nothing
Old 10-08-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, your table selection is terrible. You are at a table with 2 people over 4 x the max buyin, 1 with 2 x the max, and 2 right around max. Don't play against winning players. Play aginst people who buy in for $1, lose it, and rebuy.

[/ QUOTE ]

big stacks does not = winning players. playing against shortstacks is considerably more difficult than playing against full stacks.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you assume they are winning players because of their stack sizes? Also, part of my table selection strategy is to sit with players who have bigstacks. I am a winning player myself and I like lots of money at the table when I sit down. I also don't fear other winning players at this level either, as I run into them on a daily basis and do just fine against them. This, IMO, has nothing to do with the hand.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is such terrible advice for $5nl. What?
Old 10-08-2007, 01:21 PM

Yeah- it's more fun to stack a $1 buy-in donk than it is to stack a $20 just doubled-up chasing vagas donk.

Bigger donk stacks = bigger Redsoxfan stacks

WTF people- bad people win occassionally so stack size is not a good way to judge how good an opponent is when choosing a table.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:01 PM

I have a TON of hands at $5 NL, guys. I'm not making this up. $5 NL is the lowest you can play, there is no reason to play against someone who will make you call for a full buyin. The minute these guys with big wins lose any size hand at all, they are gone. You want the guys who buy in short, stack off and rebuy.

What are you gonna do, keep notes on the players at .01/.02? There's like 134567376496535 of them. You may never be at the same table with any of these people again.

This level isn't teaching you how to play. It teaches you how to focus, and absorb bad beats without tilting.

Anyway, if you think I am wrong, no worry to me. I wouldn't stand by what I said at .05/.10, but I know I am sure as hell right for .01/.02 .
Old 10-08-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a TON of hands at $5 NL, guys. I'm not making this up. $5 NL is the lowest you can play, there is no reason to play against someone who will make you call for a full buyin. The minute these guys with big wins lose any size hand at all, they are gone. You want the guys who buy in short, stack off and rebuy.

What are you gonna do, keep notes on the players at .01/.02? There's like 134567376496535 of them. You may never be at the same table with any of these people again.

This level isn't teaching you how to play. It teaches you how to focus, and absorb bad beats without tilting.

Anyway, if you think I am wrong, no worry to me. I wouldn't stand by what I said at .05/.10, but I know I am sure as hell right for .01/.02 .

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I bought in for $6 and I'm up a buy-in but so what. What does this have to do with the hand?