Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Downswing Need Sanity Check from 2+2ers

This thread should be stickied.
Jerry, and I'm not tryin' to be an [censored], why do you post on a forum where pretty much everyone (I'd say 95%+ of posters with over 50 posts) disagree or would disagree with your playing style?

Oh, and playing nothing but pocket pairs & AKs works just fine even at 50NL. Soldatti and PiscoGay come to mind. Their range is a tiny bit wider than that.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:09 PM

wow jerry is an idiot ldo

@OP, your overthinking 2nl too much. tl;dr but there shouldnt be that amount of analysis for a 2nl hand ever. 2nl is "ZOMG A high arrrin" just play very tight preflop (open more tables if you have to to play less hands) and raise 10x prelop instead of 4x (note: this works at stars 2nl FR with $5 max buyin, im not sure if it works at your games). The reason for this is it magnifies our opponents mistakes at a limit where they will treat your 20c raise the same as 8c (or more accurately, treat it more like a 4x raise at a higher limit. ie the whole table wont call your pfr but you will still get calls from much weaker hands) and it will also isolate the field greatly increasing your chances of winning the hand and teaches you good c-betting before you move up.

cliff notes: secret to beating 2nl (or stars FR with $5 buyin anyway)

play tight
raise 10x instead of 4x preflop
c-bet hu or 3 handed if missed and drop the hammer if hit (tp is usually good gogogog)
jerry does not know what his talking about, its very easy to play profitable at 2nl/10nl but playing as jerry suggests has less +EV then playing tight and raising the hands you play preflop
Old 10-02-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you recall i played nitty/TAG in the hands in the 200k post. which is exactly why i KNOW it does not win. and there were a couple hands of 50nl and 200nl on there thats how i know i'm not comfortable playing that high...because i tried it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe I've missed this epic thread.

Just because you can't win playing TAG does NOT mean it's a bad strategy. If you played 40/25, you could be aggressive and build big pots when you want them.. but you're playing 40/3.. basically becoming the donk.

Whyyy?

You probably just suck too bad postflop and spew too much money in bigger pots against the people that won't fold. Just because you can't make it work does not mean you should advocate a 40/3 style. I'd like to see your stats after you switched your style.. I guarantee you you're just running hot.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:45 PM

thac

please dont tap the glass, ty
Old 10-02-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thac

please dont tap the glass, ty

[/ QUOTE ]

np, just making sure OP didn't get the wrong idea.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:57 PM

oh man i just had a terrifying thought

Jerry could be a level
Old 10-02-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh man i just had a terrifying thought

Jerry could be a level

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we get a title on him.. uNL's FGators .. plz plz plz.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet no one can produce a PT sheet of a 33/5 with over 5000 hands that is profitable. It just does not add up.

[/ QUOTE ]
The stacks at 2NL are DEEP it isn't uncommon to have 300bb+ going in with TPGK. The implieds are wicked. If you are good at hand reading you can play very loose and do well. You guys seem to forget you can get paid down here on every street. You don't NEED to be super aggressive preflop to build a big pot. You just need to value bet, then value bet, then value bet some more. Didn't someone call this 'Fisherman' style. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Problem is the same plays will get you DESTROYED when you move up. But you can learn a lot about hand-reading. I played a little $2NL. Nice way of relaxing. Here's your sheet Nairb. Even looser. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 10-03-2007, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Drop VP$IP down to about 20 and less for SB- under the position tab you'll see how much money you lose in the blinds by completing.

Increase PFR and cbet most flops if heads up or have a good feel.

I rarely (5%) open limp if folded to me. If several limp and I have a drawing hand, I'll limp along.

Over 18K hands at NL2, I'm running 20.5/12.6/3.24 w 17.3BB/100hands. I was around 8BB/100 until I tightened up and got my aggressive. Just moved to NL5 and same bad players- just bigger stacks.

But really, everyone has a different sytle and not all are bad. It's your postflop play that matters. You should examine your SD% and W$SD.

[/ QUOTE ]
I read Tien's post called "Some 6max Fundamentals" and got some good advice from KEW. So I tried it tonight and was 20/18/11 over 269 hands. I was only up 1 BB tonight because AA go beat by QJo (villain limped then called my pot sized raise preflop)...Q on flop, Q on river [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]. Then KK lost to quads. Everyone limped I made it 8xBB preflop and got one caller...he flopped a boat and rivered quads[2222]. I probably could have gotten away from the hand on the turn, but oh well. I feel very comfortable playing this style. It keeps me out of marginal situations. For the most part, I had very easy decisions to make on every street tonight.

AC
Old 10-03-2007, 02:14 AM

Gawd,
I read until Jerrys post. Never listen to anything that guy says. You can multitable these games playing tightly and beat them for 25ptbb/100. I seriously would recommend tightening up your game, and then adding some hands when you feel comfortable beating the game that you are playing. Quit limping in with crappy hands. raise hands that you want to play and value bet the crap out of them. As for the hand posted, you has two pairs on the flop. Shove for VALUE!