Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How interested are you in networking with other parents in your community regarding your baby's deve
1 19 57.58%
2 3 9.09%
3 4 12.12%
4 6 18.18%
5 1 3.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Re: If I were to write a Book....

write it, they will come. i just hate educating the donks and there dead money...lol
Old 09-23-2007, 07:42 PM

Even if it only has one good idea that helps me win a few extra pots a week it will be worth it.

Will def buy.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:22 PM

Not to pee in your Cheerios or anything, but a few months ago I approached Mason (Malmuth) about possibly writing a book, to see if 2+2 would consider publishing it. His response:

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Pokey:

I'm not optimistic. Right now we have committments to a lot of books (for us) and this include five (and possibly six) books on no limit cash games. So for us to work another one in it would have to be exceptional.

Furthermore, I don't believe that intermediate or beginner material has much sales potential. The market has matured and the sales of those level books is now quite poor. You can see this yourself by going to Amazon.com and looking at sales ranks.

If you finish a manuscript, we can take a look at it, but I really doubt if we would have much interest.

best wishes,
mason

[/ QUOTE ]

He's right -- the market is FILLED with beginner and intermediate poker books right now. Even worse for potential writers (like you or me) is that many of them are written by "poker celebrities" like Annie Duke, Phil Helmuth, Dan Harrington, Phil Gordon, Doyle Brunson, T.J. Cloutier, etc. Since you don't have a famous name, you don't have a draw. Beginners are going to see a book by you and a book by Phil Helmuth and they're going to say "who the hell...oh, WAIT! I know Phil Helmuth! I'm buying THAT ONE!" Maybe your book is a masterpiece and maybe (OK, certainly) Phil's is a steaming crap pile, but the beginners won't know the difference. Until they're good enough that they don't need the book, they won't recognize good advice versus bad advice. That's why I'm always happy to see a new Cloutier or Helmuth book hit the market -- they'll make the fish WORSE rather than better. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

In short, unless you've got a brilliant marketing strategy or you're secretly Clonie McGowan, I'd say you might want to reconsider this project.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:11 PM

Pokey, I'm curious, what niche in poker would your topic have been on?
Old 09-23-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pokey, I'm curious, what niche in poker would your topic have been on?

[/ QUOTE ]

My idea was to write a book about intermediate strategy (your overarching goals and a broad-based idea of how to achieve that goals) and tactics (techniques for implementing your strategy). I figured it would be an unusual book, since the first part would be quite theoretical (WHY we do what we do) and the second part would be quite practical (HOW we do what we do).
Old 09-23-2007, 11:37 PM

If either of you guys writes a book that doesn't get published, I would be happy to ship $50 for a bad photocopy of it. I've learned much much more from both of you than any author in my small poker library. Check out Pokey's new article, and you will see what I mean. For anybody that hasn't read and studied Tien's 6max starting guide, you are missing out on real fundamentals. All free on 2+2!
Old 09-24-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If either of you guys writes a book that doesn't get published, I would be happy to ship $50 for a bad photocopy of it. I've learned much much more from both of you than any author in my small poker library. Check out Pokey's new article, and you will see what I mean. For anybody that hasn't read and studied Tien's 6max starting guide, you are missing out on real fundamentals. All free on 2+2!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree
Old 09-24-2007, 03:06 AM

I would buy it, having it in ebook form would be a plus
Old 09-24-2007, 03:26 AM

Pokey, Tien,

Write an e-book and sell it on Ebay/online. With digital delivery all you would have to do is send files to people and they ship you money. Files are content protected to protect against piracy - you don't need a publisher.

If this is something you are interested in PM me.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:25 AM

Pokey could write stuff on a cocktail napkin and itd still be one of the best strat books out there.