Default Re: Fold this AK PF?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
half of me says just stick it in, you have AK with 20xbb in a $20

but then the other half says people dont 3bet light here at all

[/ QUOTE ]

so which is your better half?

honestly, this was just one of those rare situations that i can find a fold with AKo. Had i been suited, i think it is more a shove than a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand the strength you give to your cards when they are suited & going heads-up. You only get a flush 5% of the time.

I have a tendency to not want to risk it all with AK when I believe there is a good chance of being up against QQ-AA,AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only give a little bit more strength to being suited. Typically, being suited is about a 3-5% increase to the strength of your hand vs an off suited hand.

Also, you have to be willing to risk it with AK most of the time, it sucks when you lose to 44, but you get your money in as a 50/50 vs small pairs and 40/60 vs bigger pairs. I may have been a little weak tight on this hand, at least in a vacuum maybe, but this was maybe the perfect situation for a fold PF. Its rare that I fold that hand, and it may be a while before i ever do that again, who knows.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Fold this AK PF?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
half of me says just stick it in, you have AK with 20xbb in a $20

but then the other half says people dont 3bet light here at all

[/ QUOTE ]

so which is your better half?

honestly, this was just one of those rare situations that i can find a fold with AKo. Had i been suited, i think it is more a shove than a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand the strength you give to your cards when they are suited & going heads-up. You only get a flush 5% of the time.

I have a tendency to not want to risk it all with AK when I believe there is a good chance of being up against QQ-AA,AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only give a little bit more strength to being suited. Typically, being suited is about a 3-5% increase to the strength of your hand vs an off suited hand.

Also, you have to be willing to risk it with AK most of the time, it sucks when you lose to 44, but you get your money in as a 50/50 vs small pairs and 40/60 vs bigger pairs. I may have been a little weak tight on this hand, at least in a vacuum maybe, but this was maybe the perfect situation for a fold PF. Its rare that I fold that hand, and it may be a while before i ever do that again, who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think people underestimate the power of suited cards in an all-in pot. That equity edge you outlined (3-5%) is not tiny. Decisions over the course of a poker career that ignore that much of an equity edge turn a potential winning player into a losing player.

I think, with AKo, you can get away from this hand. I would fold, but it's close. One thing that concerns me is that the Co raised about 40% of his stack. To me, that screams "I'm comfortable playing postflop with my hand, and I want you to call or push." This screams big pair. I would feel a lot more comfortable if he had shoved all-in.

Of course, a savvy player knows this, and if he thinks you're solid too, the less than all-in raise that obviously commits him often has more fold equity than a push.

I find a fold here, but if you had just a slightly smaller stack, I would run with it.