Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 04:58 AM

Default Interesting question that I\'m not sure has been answered

Let's say one is playing in a no limit texas hold 'em game (or any game, for that matter). What hand, once taken to showdown, will result in holding the nuts the most often of all two-card starting possibilities? Also, what hand will result in holding the SECOND nuts the most often of all two-card starting possibilities? I'm not sure exactly how to go about answering this other than using a simulator that I do not have. Any ideas?
Old 03-04-2007, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Interesting question that I\'m not sure has been answered

I don't see how the answer could be anything other than AK sooted....and as for 2nd nuts..that's a hard one, maybe KQ suited? My obvious process for picking AKs is becuase what other hand could even come close? With AKs u got the nut straight and flush possibilities, along with all the FH/Quad possibilities that any other hand would have. I mean of course a pair has a better chance at making nut Boats, but that's all they have a chance to make besides the infrequent 1 card straights. I think it's very obvious no hand can compete with AKs..the more interesting question is 2nd nuts which, following the logic from the first answer I think you have to go with KQs
Old 03-04-2007, 06:41 AM

Good question.

If you want to make the most nut straights it's JT.
If you want to make the most nut flushes it's AKs.
But since you are favorite to win against any hand (in a preflop situation) the answer is AA.

Second nuts (against preflop raises) are the trouble hands that are easily dominated (AJ, KQ, KJ, etc).

GL
Old 03-04-2007, 06:56 PM

I'm not talking about one pre-flop hand against another, what I specifically mean is applying every two-card combination to every community board possible, which hand would result in the most number of pure nut hands and which hand would result in the most number of second pure nut hands.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how the answer could be anything other than AK sooted....and as for 2nd nuts..that's a hard one, maybe KQ suited? My obvious process for picking AKs is becuase what other hand could even come close? With AKs u got the nut straight and flush possibilities, along with all the FH/Quad possibilities that any other hand would have. I mean of course a pair has a better chance at making nut Boats, but that's all they have a chance to make besides the infrequent 1 card straights. I think it's very obvious no hand can compete with AKs..the more interesting question is 2nd nuts which, following the logic from the first answer I think you have to go with KQs

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, as I feel A-K suited would be the most logical choice, but has anyone ever done a simulation of this kind to the point where definitive answers could result?
Old 03-04-2007, 08:09 PM

Oh, I see... That would be AKs.

Here's some numbers: JT makes a straight (which are all the nuts) around 4.5% of the time if you get to see the river. All the flushes are not the nuts (even AKQ of that suit on the board, would make a straight flush, which is so rare it does not influence the conclusions).

AKs makes the nut straight around 2.7% of the time and any suited hand makes a flush around 7.3% of the time. In the case of AK it is the nuts almost all the time.

Therefore AKs clearly makes the nuts more often with 10% VS 4.5%

The percentages above were found doing a simulation, but the simulation also counts the straights and flushes made by the board, so these should be substracted (although they do not alter the conclusion).
Old 03-04-2007, 11:56 PM

And other types of hands (full houses, two pair, etc.) would be equally likely for these two hands and for all non-pair hands (though two higher cards would make a better two pair than two lower cards), but this is where pocket pairs could play a role as well. Again, I feel like A-K suited is probably the answer, but I just wanted to see if anyone had the definitive answer. And so K-Q suited may be the most second nut hands, but still I'm not too positive.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:49 AM

Any pocket pair is better that AK because the pair does'nt need any help to win on the show down...where as if AK does'nt hit all your left with is A high......albeit your a 51/48 favorite with any pocket pair vs AK...although I believe an A or a K will hit in something like 1 out of 3 to 4 boards...?
Old 03-05-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not talking about one pre-flop hand against another, what I specifically mean is applying every two-card combination to every community board possible, which hand would result in the most number of pure nut hands and which hand would result in the most number of second pure nut hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-05-2007, 01:56 AM

AA

b