Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 01:42 PM

Default amount of cash

Sry if this is the wrong forum. I was wondering there is no limit on the amount of cash I can bring through the airport. I live in the US so I dont have to worry about regulations from the border people. I was wondering if they will say anything if I have 40-50 K in my carry on bag. Will they mess with me or say nothing.

Thank You
Old 08-19-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Re: amount of cash

bank wire. b&m forum.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:40 PM

International travellers have to declare cash of over $10K.

I'm not sure of flights within the US, but I expect you'd be pulled aside and questioned about it. I'd call the airline or TSA and ask about it before heading to the airport.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:11 PM

you can fly anywhere in the us w/ 50k or less and have no problem unless you look extremely shady. I wouldn't really take >100k if it can be avoided, but the worst case scenario is you get questioned extra (mediocre hassle at worst).
Old 08-19-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the worst case scenario is your money gets confiscated and you never get it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unlikely, but possible.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:45 PM

I dont understand why they would take it.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:54 PM

b/c security immediately thinks it's cocaine money. that's what they've been trained for.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
b/c security immediately thinks it's cocaine money. that's what they've been trained for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, and that's the only way to preserve our freedoms. Because we're a free country, see, and if the drug dealers can carry around cash without the fear of having it summarily confiscated, or at least knowing that having it confiscated would require a trial, well, then, we won't be as free.

Drug dealers hate us for our freedoms. But we're doing something about that.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:42 PM

anything over $10K can get you into trouble. consider wiring money ahead of time
Old 08-19-2007, 11:44 PM

It is not probable cause of a crime just because an individual has large sums of money. There was a case in CA where an officer confiscated and arrested a man based on 30k he had on him. The court struck it down and most states have done the same. If a police officer found large sums of money on you, he could detain you to see if a crime was committed but the money isn't evidence itself. Been TONS of cases where some known-drug-dealer had a lot of money on them, and the police searched their homes/cars for drugs.... and the entire case got thrown out because of illegal searches.

Now if you travel into the USA, there is the Bank security act of 1970 which states you must declare money over 10,000 USD. If you fail to do so, you have committed a crime. The Feds had try to just confiscate the money but this looks like it will be challenged in the Supreme Court. The reason is simple.... when you confiscate 100,000 USD .... well that is an excessive fine. Most agree the government doesn't have the right to just "take" anything used in a crime. They have done this with drug-houses (not owned by the drug-dealers) and the supreme court told the feds they were going pass their authority.

Must be nice to be a custom official, find 200,000 dollars and tell the person he can leave and his fine will be 200,000 dollars =)