Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 10:05 PM

Default Lost in a 3-bet pot IP AKs

Villain is tag, 24/20. No prior history that I can think of. I am looking for feedback on how to play this hand on every street. The way I played it feels meh.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

MP: $26.35
Hero (CO): $22.40
BTN: $30.15
SB: $34.25
BB: $7.40
UTG: $23.45

Pre-Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
UTG folds, <font color="red">MP raises to $1</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3.40</font>, 3 folds, MP calls $2.40

Flop: ($7.15) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
MP checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($7.15) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5

River: ($17.15) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP bets $17.95 and is All-In</font>, Hero folds

Results: $17.15 Pot ($0.85 Rake)
MP mucked and WON $16.30 (+$7.90 NET)
Old 11-06-2007, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Lost in a 3-bet pot IP AKs

I c-bet the flop here. As played it looks fine though on the turn and river.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:13 PM

please don't post results before you even open the thread...

preflop = goot

bet the flop for about $4.5 shutdown if called/raised unless we improve.

as played fold turn unless you are sure villain will put another $10+ in on a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] river. He has AJ AT KJ KT or JT here most of the time I'd guess.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:19 PM

You have to figure the Q is probably good also so youre looking at 13 clear outs unless he has a boat obviously. You can count your overs as half outs even and then youre looking at 16 outs, even knock it down to 14 to account for the times he has a boat. Youre getting 2.5:1 with 14 outs in position so as long as he puts in some cash on this river, even a crying call against a value bet, then I think its a good call.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:50 PM

it's tough to decide when to cbet in 3bet pots

here, i don't see much folding to a cbet. AK, AQ, KQ, AJ, and alot of PPs (even small ones) will call. i dunno if his preflop range is wider than that but i think that's what you typically see when you 3bet and get called.

i cbet alot in 3bet pots, but i think your chance of sucess on this flop is probably low. plus, when you cbet, there is a decent chance of getting cr'd and not seeing a turn cheaply with all of your outs.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:54 PM

Theres a good chance you fold out 77-99 I think, maybe Im just being hopeful. I dont think this flop is THAT bad to c-bet although I think there is a rule in general that if a flop hits JT, play accordingly as if that were a good part of villain's range. I might just be making that up though. I wouldnt worry too much about that in three bet pots though honestly.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:14 PM

Preflop is fine.

Bet the flop, about $5. This isn't necessarily just a c-bet, but we actually might have the best hand at the moment. That having been said I would shut down if we get a call, and definitely fold to any check-raise. The majority of hands that don't fold to a c-bet here are ones that leave us with only about 27% equity.

The turn call is fine. Let's assume that villain's betting range here is AJ, KJ, QJ, AT, KT, QT, JT, 22+ (I assume 22-99 are here because any villain trying to flop a set may well put us on AK or AQ after we check behind on the flop). If we call we are ~2:1 to win so we are getting the straight pot odds for this.

As played, there is no reason to call this river.

Edit: Ignore what I said about the turn. Before the edit I misread your stack sizes and assumed you gave villain set odds. If there are no lower PPs there you are 4:1 and should just listen to Matrix.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:26 AM

Thanks for the input, guys. I don't feel comfortable in playing 3-bet pots and that's one of the reasons I didn't c-bet that flop. I feel that even if I get c/r on that flop it's a better line than what I took. Also, this felt like a trap to me and I should've folded the turn with my initial read. I don't think villain calls OOP with hands that are dominated i.e. AJ, KJ, etc. I'd play TT/JJ the same way in his spot.