Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is hotter?
Charlize Theron 160 42.11%
Ana Beatriz Barros 220 57.89%
Voters: 380. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Fulltilt froze my account with 47 grand in it

out of curiosity, what address would you send the letter to?

out of curiosity, which court do you think FTP would submit itself to?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:41 PM

You could send a letter to FTP online via e-mail, or find an address by other means. As far as FTP "submitting itself" to a court, they have no choice. US courts would decide that they have personal "long arm" jurisdiction over an entity like FTP that conducts business with it's residents. In fact, most states have long arm statutes that set forth conditions for such jurisdiction. This happens frequently with websites that have no physical assets in the US. You file suit, and serve the complaint. If they fail to show, you get a default judgment, which can then be enforced in the foreign jurisdiction. But it would likely never get this far. A lawyer could for example recommend the common strategy of filing the complaint without serving it, and then explaining such to the defendant with a suggestion of settlement.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:48 PM

but ftp won't respect the decision of the court....

all fine debating points, but the reality is that no US court has real power over FTP
Old 10-29-2007, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but ftp won't respect the decision of the court....
all fine debating points, but the reality is that no US court has real power over FTP

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? They won't respect it? The process involves you taking the US judgment to a court where FTP is located and requesting them to enforce it. Whether such would happen depends alot on the country, as there are no treaties on enforcement of judgments. But the bigger threat is the negative publicity just the filing of such a suit would bring.

The US State Department website says the following re enforcement in foreign jurisdictions:
The general principle of international law applicable in such cases is that a foreign state claims and exercises the right to examine judgments for four causes: (1) to determine if the court had jurisdiction; (2) to determine whether the defendant was properly served; (3) to determine if the proceedings were vitiated by fraud; and (4) to establish that the judgment is not contrary to the public policy of the foreign country. While procedures and documentary requirements vary widely from country to country, judgments which do not involve multiple damages or punitive damages generally may be enforced, in whole or in part, upon recognition as authoritative and final, subject to the particulars cited above, unless internal law mandates a treaty obligation.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:21 PM

your thinking is dependent upon world wide recognition of US court decisions.

the rest of the world does not necessarily do this.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:34 PM

This has gotten way off topic. But most foreign countries do enforce US judgments absent unusual circumstances (large punitive award), because they want their judgments to be enforceable in the US.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am honestly concerned for sillysal. I really hope she at least hears something from FTP. Please keep us updated on this situation, I can only imagine what a nervouse wreck this had made you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Any reason? Her latest update said she had heard and it should be resolved soon (whatever that means). And without knowing what FTP knows who is to say whether sillysal is innocent or guilty (sillysal, I am not saying you are but nobody here knows).

Things have got way off topic with solicitors and jurisdiction of USA courts. The only problem I see is that FTP were not keeping sillysal informed on a regular basis as to how long the investigation was really going to last.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:02 AM

This is BS from FT. With the way they are handling the disconnect problems with other players as described in other threads to screwing SillySal around, I'm pulling all my money out of there. My God, Absolute responded quicker once they got caught.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is BS from FT. With the way they are handling the disconnect problems with other players as described in other threads to screwing SillySal around, I'm pulling all my money out of there. My God, Absolute responded quicker once they got caught.

[/ QUOTE ]
Get that bandwaggon ready - all aboard
Old 10-30-2007, 04:58 AM

Please to get an update sillysal? KThx.